INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to change Media Type for custom file associations?  (Read 3470 times)

lise

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
How to change Media Type for custom file associations?
« on: June 01, 2010, 11:45:08 am »

How can I get custom file associations (iso and mds) to display as "video" in MC? I want them to be "video" to take advantage of the "Lookup Movie Info from Wikipedia" option that only displays when right-clicking on a video file.

I've added mds and iso files to a custom fileassociations.xml in Media Center 15\Data\Custom Resources as follows (note that I have removed all unnecessary info here but not in the xml file):

<!--Media Center File Associations XML (Default / English)-->
<MJFA version="1.043">
   <!-- Descriptions -->
   <DescriptionTypes>
      <Video>MPEG Video (mp2,mpeg,mpg,m1v,mpv,mpe,m2v);MPEG Transport Video (m2t,tp,ts);AVCHD Video (m2ts,mts);Windows Media Video (wmv,wvx,dvr-ms,x-ms-wmv);QuickTime (mov,qt);MP4 Video (mp4);M4V Video (m4v);AVI Video (avi);RealVideo (rv,rmvb);ShockWave (swf);DIVX Video (divx,x-divx);DVD Video (ifo,vob);<!--my additions-->DVD Images (mds,iso);Matroska Video (mkv);Ogg Video (ogv,ogm);Tivo (tivo);Flash Video (flv);3GP (3gp,3g2,3gpp,3gp2);JRiver TV (jtv);Enhanced VOB (evo);XVID Video (xvid)</Video>
   <!-- Mime -->
   <MimeAssociations>
      <Video>
         <!--My addition--><Item Name="iso">video/iso</Item>
         <Item Name="m1v">video/m1v</Item>
         <Item Name="m4v">video/x-m4v;video/m4v</Item>
         <!--My addition--><Item Name="mds">video/mds</Item>
      </Video>
   </MimeAssociations>
</MJFA>

MDS and ISO files now display under "video" in Tools>Options>File Types.

But I can't seem to modify the tags of these files to be Media Type: Video. When I do, they revert back to "Data".
I have them set to open with an external program.

A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

sunfire7

Re: How to change Media Type for custom file associations?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 01:50:12 pm »

with your question you gave me an answer i as looking for ! thx, now i might be able to have my karaoke library on MC and open with an external program (since MC dont support karaoke files)
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 06:23:14 pm »

When nothing else works, I'm a fan of wonderful kludges  :D
1. Find a video filetype which you're not using (Tivo?).
2. Use the rename files tools to rename your ISO files to 'tivo' files.
3. Shift your external association to 'tivo' files instead of 'iso'

Alternatively, you could run this as a one-time process, renaming them back after you're done.

Final alternative is the AutoMeta plugin:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=54622
I haven't tried this for movies, but for TV series, it's exceedingly good :)

Obviously tweaking the wikipedia option to work for all filetypes would be far better though  :-X

-Leezer-

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 06:14:53 am »

I have all my ISO's tagged with Coverart and movie Meta Data.  All you need to do is in order:
1) Import
2) Change the "Media Type" from "Data" to "Video"
3) Tag, add coverart etc as normal.

To mount and playback ISO's properly I have the following settings (there is also a bit of doco in the Wiki at http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/DVD_Library_in_Media_Center).
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 08:32:27 am »

Leezer, thanks for the trick.
Nathan, thanks for the info. Your way seems simpler.

Yesterday when I tried to change an iso to Video rather than Data, the change didn't stick. But it must have been a glitch, because this morning it is sticking.

I would of course prefer to have it done automatically, which is what I thought I was doing by adding the file types to the "video" section of the xml.

I did perhaps find a bug: I thought that tag changes to stacked items affected all items in the stack, but that doesn't happen with a change in Media Type. Most of my iso files have corresponding mds files. I didn't want duplicates in my Movie View.  I could have created an expression saying: when both files exist, show only the mds, otherwise show the iso, but I couldn't for the life of me come up with a successful expression to do that, so I stacked them instead. But mofidying the Media Type doesn't apply to the item 'under' the stack.
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?
Pages: [1]   Go Up