INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I use an image in a video category without apply it to the inner categories?  (Read 1375 times)

Clawdeath

• Recent member

Here's what I want to do, I had a lot of dvd boxes from a lot of tv series (Lost, Carnivale, The Office etc), each series had its own logo, each season had its own dvd cover art, and each episode had its own thumbnail taken from a screenshot of the video, I made a custom view with: view as = categories, show categories as = genre; series; season. In genre I've separated the categories in : movies, cartoons, tv series, animes, music videos and fun stuff, and I've created a logo for each category on Photoshop, and I want to apply these images on genre without apply them to series and to seasons, and I want to apply each series logo on the series categories without apply them to seasons and so on, but when I try to apply the image to genres it automatically apply to series, seasons and to all the thumbnails of the videos inside it, I want to know if I can make it show an image in a category and another one in the categories inside it and so on, and if I can, how do I do this?

Sorry for the poor English and I hope you understand what I mean.

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe

There is currently no way to do this. The program is simply designed to display one thumbnail for each file in the library, and there are no means to show different thumbnails to represent categories of files—like a season, series or genre. But there is a workaround of sorts. I create and import into my library null text files with a .LOG extension. I do so to create records for which no file exists. Most are for movies I've seen and want a record of, but do not own. Others represent series...

Like you, I use screen shots for episode "covers." I don't use a seasons category (because I only watch a season at a time), but I still need something to represent the series. So I create a file named something like Series.log (to go with episodes named Series S01 E01.mkv, etc) and add a poster named Series.jpg. The library record for Series.log is tagged with information about the series, and it automatically gets it's thumbnail from Series.jpg. I could just as easily add a Series S01.log file for the season and a TV series.log file for the genre—each with an appropriate poster or logo.

The "log" file type is, of course, not a video type—it's considered a text file and classified as a "Data" media type. To include them in your video views, simple add [File Type]=[log] to your view scheme Rules for file display.

This will not give you exactly what you're looking for. In particular, in a Categories-type view, it's not going to magically use the thumbnail you've created to represent a season, series or genre. It's going to show a stack which rotates all the thumbnails in the category. But the details pane of any view type, if sorted properly, will show the category record/thumbnail first, followed by the members of the category. So that could be, for example, a DVD cover for a season of a series, followed by the episodes of that season.

Clawdeath

• Recent member

Thanks for the quick answer, I will do this workaround, but it would be awesome to had this feature on J river media center, cause it would be great to use on the music library too, so we can show a picture of the band on the artists category instead of the album arts of the albums inside it, lets hope this feature to be added on future versions.

Ps.: If we can make it show only the first thumbnail inside the group without rotate trough all of em, this workaround will be perfect.

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe

lets hope this feature to be added on future versions.

The two things required—the ability to create records not associated with files, and the ability to associate records other records (e.g., series record, band record, my vacation photo record)—have been suggested a number of times. So, yes, let's hope.
Pages: [1]   Go Up