INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BUG: No longer can pick from fixed list of values by typing first letter  (Read 1062 times)

MusicHawk

• Citizen of the Universe

Bug or unwelcome change? MC has lost the ability to select from a fixed list of acceptable words by typing the first letter.

I have a field, Performance, String type, with 7 acceptable words for it: vocal;instr;show;talk;ad;prod;other

Notice that each word begins with a different letter. In MC14 and prior, I can type the first letter and the desired entire value gets selected. Type "i" and MC puts "instr" into the field -- a terrific short cut, very fast to use.

But in MC15.0.56, typing the first letter does nothing. I must either type the entire string, or click to open the list and select the value. AND, I can't find any way to open the list via the keyboard. I must stop typing, grab the mouse, and click the down arrow, then scroll and select the desired word -- it's actually faster to type the entire value and not use the list at all.

It seems the old method is gone, a big step backwards in tagging efficiency. Is this an intentional change? If so, why? If not, please fix this bug ASAP.

Thoughts: I have several string/text fields that show the arrow to open the list, but I can type the first letter or two and get a value selected without having to explicitly use the list. But these lists were all built by free-typing, therefore are derived entirely by MC from scanning the database.

So, probably the problem with my Performance field is that there's an explicit list of acceptable values that MC must match exactly to select. To verify this, I changed the acceptable values list from full words to just their first letters, and it then works as desired. Typing one letter matches one letter in the list. But reverting to the list of words, typing a first letter again does nothing; only typing the entire word gets it accepted by MC.

ALSO: When I click the down arrow to see the list of values, they are listed twice: the 7 words, a horizontal line, then the 7 words again. What does this signify?
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

ALSO: When I click the down arrow to see the list of values, they are listed twice: the 7 words, a horizontal line, then the 7 words again. What does this signify?

That's why it's not working.  The single letter is ambiguous because the entry is in the list twice.

It's supposed to be:
[Values used by selected files]
-------
[All values]

We're working on the problem now.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

This will be fixed in build 57 and later:
Fixed: The in-place edit available choices for fields with a fixed list of acceptable values was not working properly.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MusicHawk

Thank you!
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.
Pages: [1]   Go Up