INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album View 2 (part 2)  (Read 3177 times)

nila

Album View 2 (part 2)
« on: June 24, 2002, 03:28:17 pm »

Latest Build of Album View 2 (Beta)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Rhino,
sorry, had to start a new thread.
That last one really was just taking forever to load.
I'm sure it was putting a ton of strain on their servers too every time someone opened that link Next Page.
Hopefully this one can last a while now.

I'm still having that old bug I was getting with the paths etc in the Wizard showing corrupted data instead of the correct strings.

Also, in the exclusion screen. If you click on the browse button when the text box is displaying a non valid path (in this case junk) it freezes it.

RhinoBanga

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Developer
RE:Album View 2 (part 2)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2002, 01:22:14 am »

Nila,

Go to regedit and delete the path HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\James Dickson\MJAlbumView, then try the wizard.

I'll check out the browse issue tonight after I put in the finishing touches to the image extraction wizard Next Page

shelly

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2002, 03:01:02 am »

Hi Rhino,  

Here's the screenshot and my system info.  I'm beyond bamboozled!

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.305
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 1694 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 62 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1  (Build 2600)

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2813.3000
ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2813.3000
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
wnaspi32.dll: 4.57 (1008) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1997 Adaptec, Inc.
Aspi32.sys: 4.57 (1008)

Shelly

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2002, 04:02:12 am »

Well on the plus side it's defo something I can fix as it seems that it's bombed out during processing Next Page

Can you try what I suggested to Nila ... remove the registry key ... and see if that works.

nila

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2002, 06:07:20 am »

Deleted the registry keys and also the database and the boxes are still messed up.
If I click on them and they're in focus and all the data is highlighted then it shows the correct info.
When they loose focus however it just starts showing random rubbish. Often a bunch of squares next to each other [] (like those but joined as a single symbol).

Also, the Album Details screen now no longer really works at all. No covers, no track details, nothing Next Page
One or two artists work but the majority dont.
The Track Details screen has no data for most of the tracks. It seems to have a few of them, but not many (this is with a fresh scan).
Reports: Bitrate Overview seems to have all the data in there fine.

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2002, 06:21:55 am »

Nila,

What about the options screen ... does the Thumbnails/Captions/Value field show rubbish when you click on the Condition combo?

Also the missing track entries sounds like the filename MJ issue that Ilmar's having.   Let me put in debugging statements when I get home and I'll send you a new version to prove/disprove this.

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2002, 12:21:14 pm »

Friends,

I have uploaded the latest test version of AV.

This version contains:

1)  The fix for the crash that Nila reported when clicking on the album details track information options menu popup.
2)  Album details track options menu now hilight in red the screens that contain information
3)  The internal image extraction wizard:

To use go to the track details screen, select the tracks to want to process and use the tools menu item or right click on the selection.

Those with problems building the AV database due to filename issues will have to wait until Matt gets the next version of MJ out with the fix.

Also Shelly, I have included more debug statements in this release so if you can email me a trace file I can see if I can spot where AV is crapping out.

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2002, 10:28:28 pm »

Friends,

I have uploaded another version ... this version contains tooltips ... yay!

Once I get the overview screen working I am classing AV as Alpha.

Hopefully that should either be today or tomorrow.

nila

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2002, 05:06:52 am »

Rhino,
I wouldn't class it as Alpha just yet.
I personally am having quite a few MAJOR bugs with it still.
Major ones that are stopping it functioning. Has Matt fixed MJ yet to help you sort out your problem??
I'll be happy to do a bunch more tests for you if you want.

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2002, 05:45:20 am »

Nila,

As I said I am not classing it as alpha until I get the overview screen fixed as then all existing v1 functionality will have been restored ... and I consider that a reasonable state to call the software alpha.

As far as I was aware you only have two issues left ... the MJ bug (which is out of my control) and the data display issue which no-one else has reported.

Does the new version I uploaded last night help the issue at all?   I put additional checks in the code to make sure that "valid" data is sent to the controls.

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2002, 06:41:46 am »

I have a small issue:

When I select to have at least 2 songs on an album before it shows the thumbnail (via the wizard), I get no thumbnails at all
for none of my albums.
If I revert back to 1, all is fine
may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2002, 06:50:14 am »

I'll look at it tonight benny ... sounds a simple bug.

Has anyone tried the image extraction wizard?

I am thinking that now that I have that I should remove internal image support since it will make my life a lot easier.

What do you guys think?

shelly

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2002, 09:13:08 am »

Rhino,

I now have a functional menubar, album and track listings, and thumbnail displays!!  Nice progress!

I'll share what I've found so far.

After AV initializes it opens to an empty display:

I continue to to get an empty display when 'overview' is selected.

I get my complete artist/album listing when that view is selected.  However, only a few of the album covers are displayed (can't find any logic to which are displayed and which aren't) and the icons are offset to the right:

Double-clicking on an album cover creates an empty thumbnail window, until the focus is removed from AV:

Double-clicking on an album in the Genre view produces the following display and error message, at which point, AV freezes:

I've emailed my debug file.  

Shelly

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2002, 11:41:29 am »

Good news folks ... I have identified a problem with my database where sometimes it writes out garbage.

That will explain a lot of problems people are having with missing thumbnails, etc.

I'll let you know when it's fixed.

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2002, 01:02:10 pm »

Friends,

I have uploaded another version for you to try.   Please use this in conjunction with .311 of MJ that has been released.

Also check out the sorting of the thumbnails in the album details screen ... it can be activated via the "Options" menu item.

Ilmar

• World Citizen
  • JOATYou mean besides music?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2002, 01:33:34 pm »

Wow

Version with 8.0.311

It took less than 8 minutes to create and display!!

Unfortunately the images seem to be a bit scrambled. The image in the upper window can be any cover at all or half of one and half of another, but the one in the bottom right is correct..

PS: I did the registry thingy as well...

Ilmar

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.311
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: AMD Athlon 1196 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 392 MB, Free - 164 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1, v.1050 (Build 2600)

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1050
ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1050
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1050
wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1021) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc.
Aspi32.sys: 4.60 (1021)
Ilmar

"We make a living by what we get,
But we make a life by what we give"
     Sir WInston Churchill

nila

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2002, 02:00:08 pm »

Still having the exact same problems.
This time it's on a new computer (I Just got a new CPU, MoBo, RAM, Case) and a completely fresh install of WinXP, MJ and AV.
The text displays for the wizard are still showing jumbled data when I try to select a file etc.

dragyn

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2002, 02:15:20 pm »

I can't get the internal image extractor to work. It goes through the dialogs but when you click finish, nothing is created.

shelly

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2002, 08:29:22 pm »

Rhino,

All the same bugs as the previous version.  Less than 1/2 of my cover art is displaying.  Also, I can't find "sort" in options.  

Shelly

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2002, 09:58:09 pm »

Ilmar:

I wouldn't get too excited ... it sounds as if something screwed up.   Do you keep all your artwork in one folder?   If so can you email me a zip file of it please along with  your latest DB if it has changed.

Nila:

You have proved that the data is there ... it's just that it's not being shown correctly ... so is the DB being created ok?  

Dragyn:

How many rows did you select from the track details screen for it to process?   Did the progress dialog match this value at all?

Shelly:

The options menu item is in the caption bar where the thumbnails are displayed.   Also do you keep your artwork in one folder?   If so can you too zip it up and email it to me please.

dragyn

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2002, 01:50:50 am »

Rhino,

I didn't see that part where to select the files. I just used it from the file menu at the top.

Everything works alright except for that Album Artist bug you have no control over.

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2002, 01:55:01 am »

Dragyn,

I have now changed the wizard to ask what you want to process ... your track details selection, the AV database or the MJ database.

That should make things clearer now.

nila

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2002, 05:29:31 am »

Hmm,
Got it to work although the dialog boxes are still doing the same thing.
I've included some screen shots to show what I mean.
If I paste the path to the file straight in it works fine:

When I move off it the text goes wierd

and if I click on it again it shows the correct text again.

If I try to change the size of the thumbnails as well I get the same thing. I can write in the size ok but when I try to change it, it goes wierd as soon as I exit the box. When I then click next it makes an error beep and the whole thing locks up.

The images section here is doing something wierd. Notice the big gap to the left that's there. If I browse sideways it'll fix it and move to the left but it starts as standard like this.

I clicked to go into  genre/artist/album and got this:

(runtime 0 error)

Overview doesn't work at all (cant remember if you said you had it working or were going to get it working).

Genre/Artist/Album still isn't working (again not sure if it's meant to yet).

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2002, 05:37:38 am »

Nila,

Can you check that your display drivers are up to date.   The data is there, so it can only be that the control I am using (SmartUI) is displaying it wrong or your windows drivers are displaying it wrong.   Since no-one else has reported the issue I am leaning towards a driver issue.   Is the main options screen showing the same symptoms?

Also the overview screen and genre are not implemented yet.   What I will do is remove these functions from AV and only show them when they are ready for testing.

lee269

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2002, 09:10:32 am »

OK I tried, but I couldnt wait any longer with all these tantalising images. So Ive installed AV2. Looking really good.

Sorry if this has already been posted. In album view the first thing I noticed is that the captions in the thumbnail pane dont display correctly for a small number of albums. I cant see anything in the filenames that may be causing this. See image below: Songs in the Key of Life is affected here.

Also, I cant figure the album view cover image pane - double clicking on this used to toggle between resize-to-fit and original size. Is there/will there be a way to choose between these? Currently its just shown the same size as the thumbnail.

Ill keep playing and try and get up to speed.

lee269

nila

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2002, 02:00:59 pm »

That screen shot looks like the same kind of corruption that I was getting with my data but in the wizard.

As for display drivers, I have the very latest MS Certified XP drivers for my G400 Max Dual head.

Pretty sure it's not a Display problem so I'm guessing it's your SmartUI control you mentioned.
The screen shot above looks like he's getting the same kind of corruption as me.
Also, it's not just a display problem because if I click next on any of the screens in the wizard when they are showing the messed up data then the whole thing jams up which means it is actually reading the messed up data and trying to use it and hence crashing.

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2002, 11:55:38 pm »

Nila/Lee:

Those little squares are supposed to be there.   The caption contains carraige return/line feed pairs and the listview control displays them as squares when the entry is not selected.   If you click on the entry you will see that the caption expands.

Be aware that when I get around to custom drawinging of the listview the thumbnails will look the same as they do in V1 ... with the exception that it will only draw what is needed ... and as such will be zippy fast in the overview screen.

Lee:
I took out the size to fit on the thumbnail pain as it didn't make sense at the moment as the thumbnails have already been processed.   I'll look at putting it back in later when I get to beta.   Also double click will be there that will fire off the externally associated viewer for the JPG file.

Nila:
Tonight I will put in messagebox's to show what is in the fields but I am pretty sure the data is fine.   I will also fire off a support email to Sax (the producers of SmartUI) but I wouldn't hold your breath for a quick response.   Also you haven't told me yet if the main options screen is showing signs of corruption.

nila

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2002, 01:24:43 am »

The main options scree is also doing it.
Just tested it.

It's also being really irratic.

If I Go into the Caption Value box and start typing say:

abcd

it starts jumping around with the cursor position so after I type the first a it then jumps infront of it so when I type the b it appears before the a. If I then type c it appears after the b but before the a and d then jumps to the beginning again and appears first.
It'll get typed in like this:

a
ba
bca
dbca

when I try to type
abcd

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2002, 01:36:54 am »

Can someone else try this please to see if they can reproduce the results that Nila is seeing.

sekim

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2002, 05:33:58 am »

Rhino

I'm a little behind in the use of AV. Is there a way to show all the cover art at once? I can get it to show individual albums by selecting them, but clicking on 'Artist-Album' doesn't. Am I missing something?

Looks great, too!!!

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2002, 05:41:47 am »

The overview screen will show all the cover art ... but it's not done yet.

The best you can do for now is view the artwork for an artist.

sekim

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2002, 05:56:30 am »

Looking forward to it.

Another question, are you going to give AV the ability to play a track selected from 'Track Details'?

This plug-in has huge potential. The last time I tried AV it gave me some static, but this was many weeks ago. Are you negotiating a deal with J River yet?

Seriously though, your work on this is outstanding. Thanks for the effort.

Listening to Megadeth - Risk - I'll Be There

HEY, it works!!!

Listening to Union Underground - ...an Education in Rebellion - Natural High (246 kbps)

So does F12!

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2002, 06:15:22 am »

MachineHead,

Version one did this via the right mouse menu in the track details screen.

The menu is there with V2 but I haven't re-linked it to the code ... in fact I'll do it now ... shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.

Listening to Abba - Gold - Dancing Queen (160 kbps)

F11/F12 works quite well but I'll look at getting it to automatically paste into the current application :)

Ilmar

• World Citizen
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2002, 10:07:34 am »

Hi Rhino

I got the stripy visuals yesterday when I went into the artist bit of the treeview and clicked on the album subtree. I could only close the program and start again.

I am using a Matrox G400 with latest drivers for XP Pro.

Ilmar

PS is there a later version to try other than the one you sent by email?
Ilmar

Sir WInston Churchill

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2002, 01:02:48 pm »

Ilmar,

There is a newer version that you can download using the link in this thread.

This version has global multi-media keys support (W2K/XP only) and the ability to copy the currently playing track information to the clipboard via hotkeys ALT|PLS|CTRL|PLS|F11/F12, e.g.:

F11 = Listening to Abba - Gold - Dancing Queen
F12 = Listening to Abba - Gold - Dancing Queen (160 kbps)

The format of these messages are totally configurable.

Check http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/interact/NeoBoard.pl?Action=ShowPost&Board=inter&Post=11563&BoardIdle=7&SortingBy=0&BoardOrder=Descend&Page=0 for more information.

Ilmar

• World Citizen
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2002, 03:48:57 pm »

Hi

Tried the new version, but am still getting only half the images available, and getting jumbled images, ie. half of one cover merged with half of another.

Strangely, the persistent image changed on this install to one of these hybrid covers, so it doesnt seem to be a specific problem jpg file.

apart from that each install is getting better and better.

Great work

Ilmar
Ilmar

Sir WInston Churchill
Pages: [1]   Go Up