INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSP Studio Order  (Read 991 times)

justsomeguy

• Citizen of the Universe
DSP Studio Order
« on: June 10, 2010, 05:52:56 pm »

I've been wondering for a while if it really matters that much what order you have the dsp plugins in.  Is the default the order it's in when installed the optimal or is there any benefit to re-ordering them?  Mostly I only use Volume Leveling and Output Format and sometimes the Equalizer.  The order I have mine in is Eq - Volume Leveling - Output Format.  Output Format is set to 4 channels, Clone side channels to rear, 32-bit and sample rate 48k.  Would there be any benefit to maybe moving Output Format to the top so that the audio is re-sampled to a higher bit depth and sample rate before any other effect is applied?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: DSP Studio Order
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 06:47:50 pm »

I've been wondering for a while if it really matters that much what order you have the dsp plugins in.  Is the default the order it's in when installed the optimal or is there any benefit to re-ordering them?  Mostly I only use Volume Leveling and Output Format and sometimes the Equalizer.  The order I have mine in is Eq - Volume Leveling - Output Format.  Output Format is set to 4 channels, Clone side channels to rear, 32-bit and sample rate 48k.  Would there be any benefit to maybe moving Output Format to the top so that the audio is re-sampled to a higher bit depth and sample rate before any other effect is applied?

Output Format and Volume Leveling are special.  Ordering them makes no difference.  Both are applied at the front of the audio chain (first).  Other DSPs are applied just-in-time at the end of the audio chain in the order specified by the user.

There are good technical reasons for this, which I won't bore you with unless you want them.  It's possible the DSP Studio should do a better job of indicating the special nature of those two DSPs, although trying to explain too much might just make the whole thing unnecessarily complex.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up