INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Library features (For a king of Album category but for videos.)  (Read 1519 times)

dubealex

Hi, first off, from all the media players I've tried, Media Center is the one I like the most.

For music management, it is perfect.

I've seen it can also do Video with a Video Library.

There's 2 things I would like to do with it, so if it is already possible to do, I would like to know how as I did not see any option to do it, and if the features aren't implemented, I was wondering if it would be possible to implement them in a future release, if enough people find it interesting. So here goes:

1) Being able to categorize videos as "Albums", just like the music library, so, for example, a TV series, we can have a "album" or "season" called Serie's Name Season 1, and in that you can see each episode title. In a way, it would make the video library work like the Music library; you could have a view for the genre, then the series or seasons, then click on a season to see the episodes. I know there might not be tags for that in all video file type, I suspect media center already have a built in db for tagging videos that doesn't support tagging.

2) Being able to set, in the options, an external player to launch a media file. So, for example, if I want to use Media Center as a library for video files, but use another video player to actually play them, I could set in the options which program to launch when I click a video file in the Video Library.

Any input welcome, and if you are interested, I welcome your replies.

Clawdeath

• Recent member

To do the first one go to video on the left menu, select any category, right click on it and select "customize view", and on "view as" select "categories", and in "show categories in this order" add the categories in this order 1"genre", 2"series" and 3"season", click OK and it's done but remember it will not automatically tag your videos with the right categories, you will need to do it manually, and to do this first select all the videos that goes on the same genre on the library and press ALT+ENTER, and in the left menu will appear the tag information then in genre field you type the proper genre for each group of videos (Movies, Tv series, cartoons, animes etc...). Then do the same thing on the series field, select all the videos from the same series (as an example all the Lost chapters or all the Simpsons chapters, or every videos that you had who had their own series), press alt+enter and on the field series type the name of the series, and the same applies for the season field. But remember to mark the option "video" on "tools", "options", "general", "store tags in external sidecar files if the file do not support file tagging"

And to do the second one, go to "tools", "options", "file types" select the extension of the video files you want to execute on another program and in the "playback method" menu select "external program (custom)", and choose the program you will like to use to open the files.
well that is it , I hope it helped.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

#1.  Not yet.

#2.  Yes.  Go to Options/Filetype and tell MC how to play the filetype.  External player is one of the options.

Welcome to the forum.

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe

#1.  Not yet.

You must mean "not automatically, yet." Otherwise, what Clawdeath describes works—at least in that "it would make the video library work like the Music library." Some sort of special handling for episodes, however, will be welcome.

Clawdeath

• Recent member

Some sort of special handling for episodes, however, will be welcome.

And also the possibility of representing genres, series and seasons with our custom idle image instead of roll trough all the thumbnails of the videos inside it, (for example: a image of a projector for movies genre, and the image of a tv, for tv series genre, when I double click the tv image and enter the tv series menu I see a "Lost" logo and a "The Office" logo, and when I double click the "Lost" logo I see the dvd cover art of each lost season, and when i double click a season I see each chapter inside that season with their own thumbnail taken from a screenshot of the video), as I've already requested.

Ps.: I don't want it to do it automatically for me I just want the possibility of doing it manually, an option like "use a custom image to represent this genre" when I right click on it will be great, but even if it's more complicated, I don't mind as long as I can do it.

dubealex

Thanks to Clawdeath, everything you said works as I wanted.

Thanks again !

Clawdeath

• Recent member

you're welcome.

roopertd

• Recent member

Have a look at this link:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=56096.0
I think similar views to what you are looking for can be done by following the guide.
You could also try viewing using "Categories" instead of "Panes" to get even closer to what you described.
The link also explains how to play dvd's and blu-rays with an external program.
Pages: [1]   Go Up