INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clipping of FLACs  (Read 1333 times)

OJ

Clipping of FLACs
« on: June 14, 2010, 02:57:59 am »

I tested the JRiver Media Center 15 and, actually, I liked it a lot because of its DNLA capacities.....until I realized that suddenly all of my FLACs in the imported directory (more than 200 albums!) show clipping  (?), even when I use other software, eg VLC. This is very disturbing. I am using WD TV Live media player and had a perfect sound with my FLACs on my stereo before.
Is there any way to get rid of it?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Clipping of FLACs
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 03:42:41 am »

How do they show clipping? What do you mean by the word "clipping"?

It is possible to set DSP on playback so that the maximum volume level is too high i.e. the peaks would go over 100% (aka 0 dBFS) and would be truncated, but that is of course something that you should avoid. MC has the clipping preventation feature that reduces the volume if the internal DSP settings would cause clipping.

MC does not alter the FLAC files or has any effect to other players' output (VLC etc).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

OJ

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 04:15:52 am »

With "Clipping" I mean:
1) audible distortion on my stereo
2) analysis with eg WaveLab shows all peaks more than 100%
3) FLACs are clipped

Thus, I guess MC 15 just used replay gain and I somehow need to change TAGs?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 05:08:39 am »

MC can automatically analyze files for Replay Gain and apply the corresponding tags to the files if the "Analyze audio" Auto-Import task is enabled. However, that does not alter the audio content anyhow.

In general, the Replay Gain process usually results reduced output volume level (or at least unaltered) when a player program or device adjusts the volume level according to the stored Replay Gain values.

I don't understand how the files would change so that an audio editor like WaveLab would show increased volume level and clipping. Actually, WaveLab doesn't support the FLAC format (or Replay Gain tags in any format), so perhaps you used a file conversion process that causes the problem.

EDIT

More details are needed to resolve your problem. If you are convinced that the problem is caused by the FLAC files (in a way or another) you would need to provide a sample file. If you think the problem is caused by some changes in the playback chain then you would need to provide detailed step by step instructions for reproducing the problem.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up