INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ASIO, yes. WASAPI and KS, no.  (Read 3819 times)

leftax

ASIO, yes. WASAPI and KS, no.
« on: June 19, 2010, 04:08:23 pm »

I just purchased this software, and am having some trouble with the functionality.  System details:

PCI card:  M-Audio Delta Audiophile 192
Driver:  5.10.0.5074
MC Version: 15.0.58 (Registered)
Outboard DAC: integrated component of powered speaker system = AVI ADM9.1
Digital coaxial (S/PDIF) connection from Delta 192 digital output to ADM9.1 digital input

I have exclusive mode selected for the Delta 192 output device in Windows settings.

ASIO works just fine with a channel offset of 2.

Neither WASAPI nor Kernel Streaming work.  I have tried any number of combinations of settings, including varying the bitdepth in the Output Format control dialogue box.

I have looked around a bit on the forum and tried to implement some of the procedures that others have succeeded with, to no avail.

I would appreciate technical support.

Thank you.
Lou

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: ASIO, yes. WASAPI and KS, no.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 05:56:11 pm »

Thanks for the purchase, and welcome to Interact.

I think the only thing the M-Audio should need is for you to set DSP Studio > Output Format > Bitdepth to 24-bit.  Disable other DSPs.  Play a local APE, MP3, or FLAC file. (not a file that needs Directshow filters to decode like the proprietary Apple formats)

I just tested these settings on an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 on Windows 7 x64 and WASAPI exclusive worked for Line 1/2 and the SPDIF output.  I was using the Delta_6_0_2_5_10_0_5074 driver.

Let us know if setting the bitdepth does the trick.

(p.s. the reason ASIO 'just works' is because our ASIO system automatically converts to the output bitdepth required by the card -- the user setting is not needed (or used) in this case)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

leftax

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 07:21:19 pm »

Thank you for the response.

I only use the S/PDIF output.

I am testing with both FLAC and M4A files (from years ago when I ripped with iTunes and didn't know anything).

The output mode is set to WASAPI.  I set the output bitdepth to 24, with other DSP functions disabled.  I tried toggling the 32-bit presentation package feature on and off.  I was getting the error message "The output format may not be supported by your hardware.  You can use DSP Studio to change the output to a compatible format."

Based on another thread, I lowered the Buffering time to 1 second.  Now, FLAC files play.  Yay.  However, M4A files (unsurprisingly, I suppose) have a lot of skipping.

This result is only partially satisfactory, since I have 6,120 M4A-encoded files (25% of my library), the great majority of which are lossless, and converting them all to a non-proprietary format would be somewhat time-consuming.  Is there a work-around for the Apple formatted files?

Thanks for your constructive assistance.
Lou

leftax

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 07:28:25 pm »

Never mind.  I found this: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55606.msg377942#msg377942

All is well.  Thanks again.
Lou

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 09:09:44 pm »

This is sort of an aside, but you mentioned "lowering buffering to 1 second."

If you have a reasonably good computer, I'd recommend using 0.5 seconds (the default) or less for the buffering slider in Audio > Output mode settings...  It should only be increased if you're hearing hiccups in the audio output.

Picking large values adds unneeded latency between DSP changes and the audible result.  Very large buffers can also cause the hardware to fail to open in hardware exclusive modes.

The option Audio > Prebuffering can be increased if you're using a slow wi-fi or similar for playback.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

DigitalDirect

• Recent member
Solution for WASAPI "gotcha"
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 07:16:45 pm »

@ Matt

This is a great tip. I'm an audio reviewer and use MC for all my evaluation and testing, on several Windows 7 and one Vista machines.

So this morning, after an automatic W7 reboot relating to some updates, MC wouldn't run in WASAPI... the other formats, fine, but WASAPI (running hours earlier) was a no go. I had a large buffer set, assuming that it would help with tickless playback. Shortening the buffer to 1 second did the trick.
Pages: [1]   Go Up