INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Burning problem  (Read 3643 times)

JollyJim

• World Citizen
Burning problem
« on: June 16, 2010, 03:58:42 pm »

I have recently completely rebuilt my pc including a new Samsung cd/dvd burner and an upgrade to Win7.

Since then, I have been able to burn a data cd within MC14 no problem, but, completely unable to burn an audio cd.

I get a 'cannot start write' message followed by the rendering of the cd-r to be useless. If I look at properties, it shows the cd-r to be completely full. I just tried it in test mode - it prepared the files but then gave a 'cannot start the audio process' message and then promptly 'fills' the cd-r, again, making it unusable. I have tried all different combinations of setting within Options/Burning but nothing is making any difference.

I have installed all the Windows updates that are available and have downloaded and installed the latest firmware to the Samsung.

Burning an audio cd-r in Win Media Centre is no problem at all.....

Any suggestions gratefully received......Jim.....thanks

Media Center 14.0.165 Registered -- d:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 14\

Workstation 6.1  (Build 7600)
AMD Unknown 2811 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 3145 MB, Free - 1698 MB

Internet Explorer: 8.0.7600.16385 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.7600 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.1.7600 / Shell32.dll: 6.1.7600 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive H: TSSTcorpCDDVDW SH-S223C   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 100
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive H: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223C    Addr: 3:1:0  Speed:12  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: Yes /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices: NIKON D300

Interface Plugins:
  last.fm (Active)
  Library Server (Active)
  TiVo Server (Active)

JollyJim

• World Citizen
Re: Burning problem
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 06:43:42 am »

If no-one has any ideas on this problem, is it possible that one of the JR techies could let me know, under what circumstances these error messages would be generated. Maybe then I could work it out for myself.

JollyJim

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 08:30:45 am »

bump

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 08:34:20 am »

Since then, I have been able to burn a data cd within MC14 no problem, but, completely unable to burn an audio cd.
What are the files you're trying to burn?  Can you convert them to WAV?

JollyJim

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 10:59:17 am »

I've tried to burn both WAV and mp3 with the same resultant error messages. Also tried 3 types of cd's and have gone back to version 13 all ending up with the same message and the cd ruined.

JollyJim

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 11:03:03 am »

I forgot to mention that I've uninstalled/reinstalled MC14 - no difference. This is a real poa for me as burning cd's is one of the main functions for me in MC

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 11:08:41 am »

It's possible the problem is related to some security setting.  Win7 changed a lot of things.  Could you try MC15?

Install as administrator.  After that, run as any level user.

JollyJim

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 09:46:10 pm »

I have downloaded and installed MC15 but it says the 30 day trial period has ended. I tried putting my MC14 licence in but it won't let MC15 run and asks if I want to upgrade, which I would be perfectly happy to do if I thought it would solve the problem. Can you give me a 30 day trial which I have'nt had although it thinks I have.......

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 09:56:58 pm »

We can't do that.

JollyJim

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 06:38:56 am »

I have just purchased and installed MC15 and tried to burn an audio cd. It says that it has prepared the tracks but then I get the message 'Could'nt start audio recording session' and, once again, the cd is now useless.

Is it possible to track down in the program code, exactly why this error message is being generated?...or does it ring any bells with JR as to why MC will write a data cd but not an audio cd?

Media Center 15.0.65 Registered -- D:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 15\

6.1  (Build 7600)
AMD Unknown 2812 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 3145 MB, Free - 1006 MB

Internet Explorer: 8.0.7600.16385 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.7600 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.1.7600 / Shell32.dll: 6.1.7600 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive H:   Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive H: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223C    Addr: 3:1:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices:

Interface Plugins:
  last.fm (Active)
  TiVo Server (Active)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 06:57:19 am »

Could you try it on another PC?  Just as a test?

It's most likely to be either a bad drive or other software on your PC.

I'm sorry you're having trouble, but if it were an MC problem, I think we'd be hearing more about it.

One last possibility.  Did you have admin privileges when you installed?  If not, try that.

JollyJim

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 09:28:01 am »

Yes - I installed it as Administrator and have run it both ways but no joy. I could'nt put it on another PC, besides, I'm not sure what that would prove anyway.

Is it not possible to ascertain the circumstances under which the error message is generated ?

I hate to think of having to use another product having been with JR since version 6.....

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 09:31:09 am »

Yes - I installed it as Administrator and have run it both ways but no joy. I could'nt put it on another PC, besides, I'm not sure what that would prove anyway.
It would prove that it's probably not MC.

Have you looked at the security programs running as a possible source of the problem?  It could be something as simple as a virus checker.

If it were my PC, I'd try another drive.  They're cheap.

Try Google for similar problems.

JollyJim

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 08:35:08 am »

I uninstalled MC15 and then reinstalled it as administrator to another drive with exactly the same results.

I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that it's not the fault of MC. I'm not trying to prove that it is or is'nt a 'fault' with MC, merely trying to find out how to resolve the situation. I can write an audio cd with nero, windows media player and a couple of other applications, so I'm pretty sure that there is nothing wrong with my setup. I'm guessing that MC15 is trying to 'interact' with some other piece of software that the other apps don't, and that this interaction is failing. That is why I keep asking if you can let me know under what circumstances MC15 is producing the error message. Maybe then I can track down what is happening. Is this really not possible to do from your end ? I am not a pc geek so I don't understand a lot of the finer points, so I am in need of help.

Also, trying to use google to find an answer is a non starter in my opinion - if the answer is'nt in this forum or available from JR , it ain't gonna be on google.

thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up