INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover Art  (Read 3518 times)

maid

• Citizen of the Universe
Cover Art
« on: June 12, 2010, 06:23:46 pm »

Hi, I keep my video covers in the same folder as the file. How do I stop MC from creating a jpg in the cover art folder??
also is this the best way to have the covers as over my network quick fine in file does not work.

Cheers
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

audunth

Re: Cover Art
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 06:43:06 am »

I keep all my covers in a dir called Cover Art.

However I have some problems. I download the covers using images.google.com and save them with the exact name of each movie. But when I choose Quick find in file/cover art directory it still doesn't find the cover art, so I must manually add each cover. Why not?

And why doesn't Get from Internet work with movies??

Yeah I know that I can get covers using the new Wikipedia feature, but I want the Blu-ray or HD-DVD cover, not just the film poster.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 07:17:55 am »

I keep all my covers in a dir called Cover Art.

However I have some problems. I download the covers using images.google.com and save them with the exact name of each movie. But when I choose Quick find in file/cover art directory it still doesn't find the cover art, so I must manually add each cover. Why not?

"coverart syntax" for media type video is "Video - [MC database field:"[Name]"]"
MT5FR

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 07:46:14 am »

Have you checked the settings for where to place the images? You have the option of keeping them in a separate folder as well as next to the file, and in the files tags. It's under Tools, Option, File Location, Cover Art. Or simply search for Cover and select the second of three alternatives :)

There is another approach to this as well. If the settings mentioned above is good, you can copy the image link or the image it self to the clipboard and then right click the Image window and select copy from link or clipboard. The window I'm referring to is the Image window in the Action pane. You'll have to select the files you wish to update. 
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

maid

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 09:57:02 pm »

Can someone please tell me why my cover art keeps disappearing?
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 12:02:37 am »

In the past i have had problems with cover art including:
1)Unknown images for media on disconnected drives
2)Star Trek and Americas Funniest Videos cover art was added when I imported folders without an existing folder.jpg
   Note that at no time has there ever been either of those movies on my computer.

Last year I changed the default settings in j river as listed below and everything has worked perfect since.

I name each cover art image “folder.jpg”
Each of my Music Albums has its own folder and each folder has cover art image named folder.jpg
Each Movie or TV season has its own folder and has cover art named folder.jpg

J river settings:
Under    Options/Tree & View/Thumbnails
Uncheck “Create thumbnails for videos”

Under Options/File Location/Cover Art
Set it to “In same folder as file (folder.jpg)” and
Uncheck “Also store image in the file's tag”

In Auto Import Options(formerly under Options/Libraries & Folders)
Uncheck “Build Thumbnails”
Uncheck “Get Cover Art”
*Note that you will have to do this for each folder set to auto import

When i change the folder.jpg j river automatically updates it
When i have a removed drive the cover art stays

Hopefully something here is helpful to you
Good luck

maid

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 12:12:34 am »

If I am understanding this correctly, if I have 1000 movies they have to have a folder for each and one folder for the images.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 12:37:20 am »

To expand on what i explained above.
If you have 1000 movies, then each movie has its own folder.
In each of those folders there is an image named folder.jpg.
This image just sits beside your movie file.
One image per folder.
When i say it's named folder.jpg i actually mean "folder.jpg".
Don't name it after the actual folder name, just cut and paste what is in the quotes. "folder.jpg"

If your movies are already in individual folders then it should be easy to rename all your images.
Just do a search in windows for all of the jpg's then select them all to rename them all at the same time.

If you movies are not already in individual folders then my way may not be worth your trouble.
It works well for me because i tag my movies using the file name so i need separate folders anyways.

maid

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 12:41:05 am »

Thank you so much for your help. I have implemented your other steps but I dont think i will create 10000 folders.

MrHaugen

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 04:03:35 am »

Creating folders for each movie would be a good idea. There are several things in MC that depends on this. Even though it might be a huge job in the beginning. I think it should be possible to automate this as well.

maid

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 04:30:19 am »

How can this be automated???

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 04:36:59 am »

do i miss something here...

MC can create both folders and create/move coverart -> folder.jpg
MT5FR

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 05:32:03 am »

I think it would be better to first find out why cover art is lost.

Maid, are you losing just the cached thumbnails or also the image file links that are stored in the library? Have you checked the Image File field values? Do they change? (See the screenshot below.)

When does this happen? What do you do when it happens? Are you using third party plugins that are involved in writing cover art links?

Cover art doesn't need to be named as folder.jpg or Video - [Name].jpg. MC needs a standard name only when a new link is added automatically. Manually added and old links can contain any image file names.

For instance, I added the non-standard links in the following screenshot about 5 years ago and they have been preserved in the library.

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 05:56:27 am »

Cover art doesn't need to be named as folder.jpg or Video - [Name].jpg.

thats true alex, as long as you don't want to be able to use the "quick find" in coverart directory
MT5FR

maid

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 04:27:49 pm »

I think after following syndromeofadown tips that it may be fixed. I do have a similar set up but I only have the jpg in the same folder as the file I do not keep an extra copy. How do I insert an image here? I was going to do a screen dump.

maid

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 01:20:47 am »

All my cover art from my movie folder are now in my images also. Do I have to keep a duplicate copy?

How do I automatically create a folder for each movie?

flac.rules

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2010, 03:10:01 am »

All my cover art from my movie folder are now in my images also. Do I have to keep a duplicate copy?

Try Flash renamer, or a similar program, I am pretty sure some of them creates automatic folders based on file-names.

rick.ca

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010, 03:30:39 am »

I don't know why you would need to, but you can do so with the Rename, Move and Copy Files tool. If you have covers or sidecar files "beside" the movie files, use a view that includes them so they are moved too.

maid

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 03:35:53 am »

I was simply following the instructions on this ticket.

Do I not have to have the movies in separate folders then.

MrHaugen

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 05:37:00 am »

You don't HAVE to move them, but I think it would simplify things later if you plan on using more video functionality. The Metadata plugin for Movie and Series tagging and art downloading depends on a directory structure with each item in it's own directory. Just to mention one. . If you don't see yourself using anything like this it will probably not be a big problem. But it should not be a huge task with the copy, move and replace tools though.

Just test it out with a very few files first.

- Select files (movies AND images etc. Need to make a view to show it all)
- Right click and select Tools, Rename, Move & Copy Files
- Mark Directories
- Select your base Movie folder. Example D:\Movies
- Set the rule as what the directories should be named by: [Name] ([Year])

I'm not totally sure what will happen to the images if you have any in the movie directory though. I've also not tried this method my self before, but I think it should work :)

maid

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 04:26:27 pm »

How do I put an img up here? then I can show what my directory looks like at the moment.

MrHaugen

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2010, 02:05:10 am »

You'll have to upload the image to pix01 (MC's web sharing tool - Share to Web), or similar tools. Then you have to that image with the Image or hyperlink tools.
Pages: [1]   Go Up