INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a way to test DLNA settings easily?  (Read 12181 times)

Dare978Devil

• Junior Woodchuck
Is there a way to test DLNA settings easily?
« on: June 23, 2010, 09:41:35 am »

Am having a great time playing with the DLNA settings, sending media streams upstairs to my PS3 from MC15.  However, whenever I make a change, I run upstairs and check to see if what I was trying to achieve is correct on the PS3.  Is there a "test DLNA client" I can use which will show me what my changes are going to look like so that I don't have to keep verifying the result on the PS3?

I used to use SMB shares, and my old media player upstairs on the original XBOX would show whatever the sharename was called.  For instance :

K:\files\shared folder\tv shows\Cop Show\season2

I would call that share "Cop Show Season 2" and that is exactly what I would see on the XBOX.  I am trying to accomplish the same thing via DLNA.  So far, I have the directory showing up on the PS3, but it is showing with the complete pathname.  If anyone has any tips on how to make the selections which appear on the PS3 more like what I used to have on the XBOX, I am all ears.

Thanks,
DD.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Is there a way to test DLNA settings easily?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 10:37:17 am »

Is there a "test DLNA client" I can use which will show me what my changes are going to look like so that I don't have to keep verifying the result on the PS3?

No.  Could you move one or the other of the devices?  Or you might be able to use the MC renderer to connect to its own server.  That's all I can think of.

Dare978Devil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 10:21:06 am »

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply, however I found my solution.  Turns out I can use Vista on the same machine which is running MC!  It actually works exactly the way I wanted it to, and no need to install anything new.

In MC15, make sure the following options are selected (Tools - Options -Media Network) :
- DLNA Server
- Library Server

Then you can use Windows Explorer as your test DLNA client.  In Explorer, check under NETWORK, and you will see a list of your computers on the network, but you will also see all DLNA servers.  Mine is called "Vista (Playstation 3)".  If you open that by double clicking, it will actually launch WMP11.  But if you right-click it instead, you can choose "View Device Webpage".  The WebRemote page for my MC15 DLNA server comes up, and I select Library at the top.  I am now looking at exactly what I see on my PS3 upstairs!  Any changes I make are instantly reflected on that page with a simple page refresh.

Much easier to try out different DLNA folder configs now.

Thanks,
DD.

Dare978Devil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 12:16:31 pm »

No, I take it back.  Got ahead of myself.  That was simply the webpage, not what the PS3 is seeing.

DD.
Pages: [1]   Go Up