INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FLAC & "Album Artist"  (Read 4288 times)

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
FLAC & "Album Artist"
« on: June 27, 2010, 04:04:29 pm »

I'm just trying out the trial version.  But I've ran into a problem.  It doesn't recognize my Album Artist tags in my flac files.

album artist is the exact tag name, and they were created when ripping via dbpoweramp.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: FLAC & "Album Artist"
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 05:02:31 pm »

Are these in the Vorbis Comment block?

You can see here, the tag "ALBUM ARTIST" does work (see attached).

Open the Tag editor in the Action Window, select a track, and click on the word FLAC in the tag editor.  It will show you the actual tags in the meta-data.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 05:18:51 pm »

It's there but it's ALBUMARTIST, even though it shows in dbpoweramp tag editor as ALBUM ARTIST.

MrC

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 05:22:19 pm »

Select your tracks, and use the Move & Copy Fields under Library Tools.  Test on a few tracks first.

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 07:16:07 pm »

Select your tracks, and use the Move & Copy Fields under Library Tools.  Test on a few tracks first.

I'm not about to retag my 80,000 tracks, when they work perfectly in my other software.

I'll have to keep looking for the perfect media management software.

Thanks!

MrC

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 08:18:08 pm »

You don't have to retag, just create a expression column to show the existing albumartist field. See:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=56357.0

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 11:10:48 pm »

You don't have to retag, just create a expression column to show the existing albumartist field. See:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=56357.0

Doesn't work.  I created a custom Field and set it's expression to [AlbumArtist].  And that's exactly what shows up, that text exactly in every album.  If I change the expression to [Album Artist], then a blank value show up as it should, with there being no tag Album Artist

MrHaugen

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 03:21:29 am »

I'm not about to retag my 80,000 tracks, when they work perfectly in my other software.

I'll have to keep looking for the perfect media management software.

Thanks!

You have to understand that this is a highly automated job. Use the Copy & Move tool, to move or copy you're tags from albumartist to Album Artist tag (you might have to create the field albumartist to see the tags). This is a few seconds of work. The copy/move process might take an hour for all your files. An expression might be a better solution in the end, if you'll still use DBpoweramp for tagging. It could possibly give you the data you want, without any user interaction in the future.

If you have no patience in finding a good solution to this, you might as well go back to iTunes right away. JRCM is intended to do most things, and it does most of it really REALLY well. But as it is this flexible, it also takes some time setting it up right for each persons taste. If you're a bit patient, the payoff will be great.

I can almost guarantee you one thing. There is no media management software that can even get close to MC. I've tried plenty of them.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

vagskal

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 04:23:40 am »

Doesn't work.  I created a custom Field and set it's expression to [AlbumArtist].  And that's exactly what shows up, that text exactly in every album.  If I change the expression to [Album Artist], then a blank value show up as it should, with there being no tag Album Artist

You have to type the whole expression. In a pane view, right click on a column heading and choose Add Expression Column... Give the column an appropriate name (Albumartist, for example) and paste the expression in the expression box. The expression should be:
If(IsEmpty([Albumartist]),[album artist (auto)],[Albumartist])

Copy and paste to get it right.

Are you sure you have created a MC database field named ALBUMARTIST (Tools=>Options=>Library & Folders=>Manage Library Fields=>Add New Field)? If "[Albumartist]" is shown when you in an expression type only [Albumartist], I think that indicates that there is no such MC database field.

If you create a new MC database field I think you will have to rescan the existing files in your MC library (File=>Library=>Import) to get the field populated. (When you add new files to your collection this is done automatically, so you will have to do this just once)

Have you been using dBpoweramp for a long time and updated? A couple of years ago dBpoweramp changed the naming of the album artist tag (Vorbis comment) from ALBUM ARTIST to ALBUMARTIST in flac files (but I think the tag editor showed the same name as before). In case you have some files with ALBUMARTIST and some with ALBUM ARTIST you could in MC create database fields for both ALBUMARTIST and ALBUM ARTIST, and also for COMPILATION, and use this expression (provided you have only flac files ripped with dBpoweramp):
If(IsEqual([Compilation],1),/(Various Artists/),If(IsEmpty([Albumartist]),[album artist)],[Albumartist]))

I would, however, in that case recommend retagging so that you have only either ALBUMARTIST or ALBUM ARTIST in your files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up