INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why can't I copy ripped songs across my home network?  (Read 1057 times)

clear and blue

• Recent member
Why can't I copy ripped songs across my home network?
« on: July 01, 2010, 11:58:40 am »

Hi,

Back when I first got Media Center I took the decision to rip the few hundred audio CDs we have, losslessly to FLAC. All was well. I have since set that original PC up to be used solely for work and setup an old computer in the living room to handle media duties.

I then used the home network to copy all the music from the original (work) PC to the media one downstairs. It has copied the folders across but they are all empty on the tracks ripped in Media Center. When I look at the source PC I notice that all of the songs ripped in Media Center have little padlocks on their icon. What does this mean apart from the obvious; not being able to share them with my other computer?

If there is a way to remove the padlocks to enable me to copy them on the downstairs computer? I'd really like to avoid a repeat of the hours and hours of ripping? If I remember right there was an option in Windows Media Player to put copy protection on the files but I can't see it in MC15.

I'd really appreciate a response on this.

Cheers,

Owen

clear and blue

• Recent member
Re: Why can't I copy ripped songs across my home network?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 12:00:35 pm »

I should add that both computers are running on Windows 7 if it makes any difference. I have the idea that I am missing something that should be blatantly obvious, but can't see what I'm doing wrong.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 12:04:21 pm »

Sounds like you're in the twilight zone of Windows user permissions.  I can only recommend google.  Someone else will probably have a better answer.

I would start by right clicking on the folder you're trying to share where the files currently are.  Check the Sharing settings there.

Good luck.

clear and blue

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 12:15:01 pm »

Great, thanks for your quick reply.

I'll look into Windows User permissions although the files that weren't ripped in Media Center came across fine. In fact that is the reason why it took a little while to notice the problem.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 09:06:17 pm »

This is a shot in the dark since I don't have eyes on your system.  I'm assuming you have 2 win7 computers with their own separate user accounts, not domain accounts.
You may have a username of Bob and even the same password on both computers, but it's not the same Bob as far as windows is concerned.  One user account is actually something along the lines of \\comp1\Bob and the other one is \\comp2\Bob.
Since there is no domain security, comp1 can't add comp2\Bob as an authorized user.

Make sure your username and passwords are identical on both machines.
For ease of troubleshooting make sure that "everyone" has full control permissions.  You must set this in two places.  There are permissions on the SHARE that was created, this will default to 'read only' and is too restrictive.  Change that to 'full control'.  Next you'll need to check permissions on the actual folders/files that are giving you problems.  Set "everyone" to full control on your music folder structure and tell it to update all subfolders.

If this doesn't solve it... here's something to try.  As long as you're comfortable with editing the registry, you can't hurt anything.  You'll be adding a new key, and if it doesn't solve your specific problem you can just delete it.

Run REGEDIT.EXE
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\POLICIES\SYSTEM
Add a new DWORD(32-bit) entry.
Name the entry LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy                      (case-sensitive, type it exactly)
Click OK
Double-click on the new entry and change the 0 to a 1.
Do this change on both computers and reboot both of them.

Hopefully you're back in business at this point.

Pages: [1]   Go Up