INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can MC serve live TV?  (Read 1611 times)

swinster

• World Citizen
Can MC serve live TV?
« on: July 01, 2010, 05:27:48 pm »

Hi,

Just putting some finishing touches to my media centre and will be looking at getting a few TV cards - some satellite, some cable and maybe a freeview HD. How good is MC with regard to serving and switching live TV on remote clients? I was thinking of getting some small ITX based machines to that all the other rooms can have a universal interface.

Cheers,

Chris

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Can MC serve live TV?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 06:02:41 pm »

Watching recorded television over the network works well.  My daughter uses this every day on a sort-of-slow wifi connection, and it's bullet-proof.

I believe watching recordings as they take place should also work, although I haven't tested this personally for some time.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

swinster

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 06:11:01 pm »

but not simply watching live TV from different cards - in a fashion to MythTV and ilk?

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 06:12:55 am »

Nope.

It's one of the few things people keep asking for but doesn't seem to get a look in with devs. Keep getting the response you just got.

Don't get me wrong, the JRiver guys do a great job and MC is freaking awesome, but a proper server / client / stream setup for TV, with the ability to remotely schedule recordings, is probably the major thing missing from it right now. Been requested a few times now, too...

swinster

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 07:28:50 am »

nudge nudge, wink wink ;)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 07:55:45 am »

Nope.

It's one of the few things people keep asking for but doesn't seem to get a look in with devs. Keep getting the response you just got.

Don't get me wrong, the JRiver guys do a great job and MC is freaking awesome, but a proper server / client / stream setup for TV, with the ability to remotely schedule recordings, is probably the major thing missing from it right now. Been requested a few times now, too...

+1
pretend this is something funny

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 07:06:31 pm »

It would be a nice addition as then all my tuners could be shared and I won't be forced to run extra anteanna cable around the house.  Also means lets splits in the cable which means better signal levels.

At the moment I think the only option is to use something like the HD Homerun networked tuners, which would mean replacing my existing 6 tuners :(

As others have said, it's been asked for before but it's never got anywhere.

Richard

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 07:45:45 pm »

swinster

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 06:31:24 pm »

Glad to see that I'm not the only one after this feature. I would certainly be nice to see the functionality in MC soon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up