INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you like an option of showing rotate buttons in “Display View”?

Yes, I would like rotation buttons in Display View
No, you should fix rotation before going into gorgeous display view
No, it’s unnecessary, and everyone could ask to add more and more buttons
I don’t care. I will not use that option.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature request: Rotation buttons in display view  (Read 1385 times)

Niebla

• Junior Woodchuck
Feature request: Rotation buttons in display view
« on: July 06, 2010, 06:17:26 am »

I use MC as image viewer and organizer. I don’t need fancy edition options. Fix orientation is the only edition I make 90% of the times, so I think it could be useful to allow that on “Display View”.

Display View is the default view when opening a file in MC… And many times I find rotated images that need to be fixed.

It could be an option similar to the existing ones (“Show ratings”,  “Show spectrum analyzer”, “Show rotate buttons”).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Feature request: Rotation buttons in display view
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 06:23:22 am »

I import my images to a tmp directory (C:\images\2010\tmp, for example).  There, I remove any bad ones.  Then I select a group at a time, using ctrl-click and rotate them as a group.  I tag them, then I use MC's Library Tools feature, "Rename, Move, Copy" to move them to directories according to their tags.  You must check the directory option to do that last step.

Niebla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 06:36:24 am »

This is my process:
  • I copy the images in its final location according to this schema: C:\Images\[Year]\[Month Number] - [Album]
  • I browse the images in “full screen mode”, deleting the bad ones, rating, and rotating (and zooming and laughing and talking with family)
  • Some days or months later, I fill properties from filename, and do some tagging (Place, People).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 08:12:05 am »

This is my process:
  • I copy the images in its final location according to this schema: C:\Images\[Year]\[Month Number] - [Album]
  • I browse the images in “full screen mode”, deleting the bad ones, rating, and rotating (and zooming and laughing and talking with family)
Those two may be in reverse order.  At least an early quick cleanup would help.

Browsing in a view with thumbnails (enlarged?) would be simpler.

Niebla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 10:10:32 am »

Those two may be in reverse order.  At least an early quick cleanup would help.

Right now, an early quick  cleanup is almost mandatory (because rotating images while in "Display Mode" becomes a pain...). That's why I am making this feature request.

And even with this "early quick cleanup" I always find some image that still needs to be rotated, which become an interruption of our family presentation...(in this presentation we decide ratings and which images should stay or should be deleted... so I shouldn't make a lot of early cleanup either).

Browsing in a view with thumbnails (enlarged?) would be simpler.

Yes. It would be simpler. But not nicer. Display view zooming and transitions are awesome.

T2Mac

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 01:36:01 pm »

Are you aware that those options are available from the right click menu in Display View under Advance Image Commands?

rick.ca

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 01:58:17 pm »

This has been discussed at length here. To summarize...

1. There are plenty of ways to configure a Standard view for this preview/display use case. The attached screen shot is one example. It won't be a full screen display of images with transitions, but it allows for rotation, cropping and other edit adjustments, rating and the setting of any other tags. Not all functions are available in all views, but you can choose the one that's most appropriate and modify that as needed (e.g., view the tag window to set a rating).

2. If Display View is preferred, rotation, rating and deletion can be done with keyboard shortcuts (which can also be invoked with a remote). This is the type of control appropriate to Display View. Even if there were buttons on the Player bar, using the keyboard or remote is less disruptive of the viewing experience.

3. The program is complicated enough without confusing matters by trying to make a view designed for playing media also function as a previewer that can handle adjustments and tagging. Much has been made of the observation other programs do this. They don't. They're either equivalent to Standard View, or they have a separate display or slide show view which doesn't allow any adjustments at all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up