INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The need for the "Start" button.  (Read 2020 times)

Media Freak

• Junior Woodchuck
  • My middle name is MEDIA
The need for the "Start" button.
« on: July 05, 2010, 10:32:15 pm »

Media Center 15.0.70 Updates on 7/1/2010:
8. Changed: 'Start' is no longer listed in the tree although the program will, by default, still start at the view (can be customized in Options > Startup).

Apparently nobody at JRiver noticed what I've been developing for the "Start" page; I have a whole tread here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=58251.0 in the Third Party Plug-ins, Programs, and Skins section detailing the project called Fancy Boxes & Fancy Playlists and it's all tied up to the "Start" button in the tree. Taking away the "Start" listing from the tree is like killing the project once anybody using it would upgrade to 15.0.70.
I've dedicated a lot of times on this project, not thinking that out of the blue JRiver would take away the button.
Please, I'd appreciate this button back to keep working on adding that project and find a way to distribute it to the members here. After all, it's not like the button is taking a lot of space in the tree.

Thanks.
My Music collection runs 24/7; I threw away the Stop button.

sunfire7

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: JimH, please read this. The need for the "Start" button.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 01:05:19 am »

The concept of the project is great and I think JRiver must explore the potential of the start page!

JRiver can turn the start button off by default, but with the option to enable it?
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

MrHaugen

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 01:55:34 am »

JRiver can turn the start button off by default, but with the option to enable it?

Exactly. I think it's a bit dramatic to just remove it... The start pages default should be so more really. Why not make short "How to" movies on Youtube, and point the users in the direct way? Sort of a walktrough. Lots of things could be done here, and would really help the new users.

Other than this I have to say you project looks nice Media Freak. I'mm looking forward to testing it out.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
Re: The need for the "Start" button.
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 07:42:03 am »

+1 for leaving the Start button as a menu option. I don't use it a ton, but occasionally I'll head to it for a quick Google search inside MC. Sure I could set up another link, but this is how I've become accustomed to doing it...and the Start page still exists...why not keep the shortcut option and let us use it as we see appropriate?

Media Freak, the Fancy Boxes/Playlists looks awesome. Hopefully I'll be able to give it a try after another MC release.

-JB

Media Freak

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 09:02:37 am »

Yeah, you got that right Sunfire7, JRiver should give us that enable/disable option for the least with the "Start" listing in the tree.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 03:13:53 am »

OK, so here's the very slightly confusing thing for me that maybe someone could clear up...

Before this changed, we had the ability to turn off the start page at "Options\General\Features\" and if you unselected it, the Start entry was removed from the tree, but you were still taken there in cases such as loading a new library, or MC starting in the last location and that location no longer being available.

Now, I just checked, and by default, this option is selected, but there's no entry in the tree, so what difference does this option make now?

After all, it's not like the button is taking a lot of space in the tree.
I'm guessing there's more to this than JRiver simply wanting to save space in the tree, or surely they would have simply made the "Start" option referred to earlier deselected by default just as "Notes" is at the moment. At least on surface, I can't see the difference between the two, nor do I see the relevance of that "Start" option under "\General\Features" in build 70 onwards. ?

-marko.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 02:44:06 pm »

Coming in build 72:
Changed: Start can be added back to the tree using Options > General > Features > Show Start in Tree.

Sorry for any troubles.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Media Freak

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 11:54:57 am »

Coming in build 72:
Changed: Start can be added back to the tree using Options > General > Features > Show Start in Tree.

Sorry for any troubles.

Beautiful. Thanks for adding the option.
Pages: [1]   Go Up