INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple iTunes accounts were compromised  (Read 1396 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Apple iTunes accounts were compromised
« on: July 07, 2010, 01:16:54 pm »

From CNET

"Apple on Tuesday said it has taken steps to remedy a situation that arose over the weekend with one of its iPhone developers, who it said used other people's iTunes accounts to purchase his apps."

"Despite that, Apple said the iTunes servers were not compromised. "An extremely small percentage of users, about 400 of the 150 million iTunes users--that is less than 0.0003 percent of iTunes users--were impacted," an Apple representative said."

Full article:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20009802-37.html?tag=newsEditorsPicksArea.0

Frobozz

• Citizen of the Universe
  • There is a small mailbox here.
Re: Apple iTunes accounts were compromised
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 09:09:08 am »

The Windows Secrets online newsletter that arrived today has a similar article:
iTunes account theft strikes close to home

She's an IT professional.  Not ignorant of security.  Likely doesn't have a password stealing trojan on her computers.  So how are they attacking accounts?  Brute force?  Man in the middle?  Hijacked routers?  Insiders at an ISP?  Insiders at Apple?  Phishing?  An exploit against the iTunes application?  A weakness in the iTunes application security methods?  I was assuming password stealing malware, but that may not be it.  Maybe a weakness or exploit against the iTunes app instead?

Certainly doesn't give a warm fuzzy feeling about Apple's security measures.  Something's weak.

I have no automatic payment method associated with my iTunes account.
Pages: [1]   Go Up