INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 14 & Windows 7 Tagging Problem  (Read 1972 times)

invictus0990

• Recent member
MC 14 & Windows 7 Tagging Problem
« on: July 08, 2010, 09:26:44 pm »

Hey everyone,
I'm editing my tags in MC14 and I'm noticing that certain tags are not being updated in the actual file properties in Windows 7. For example, in MC14 I deleted whatever was in the tags: Comments and Copyright, but when I go to the file in Windows Explorer-> then right click the file and go to properties -> then click Details, I notice that there is still data in the Comments and Copyright fields. I checked the settings in MC14 and everything looks like it should have updated those tags, but it didn't.

Here's what I already checked: 1) In MC14 settings, I clicked Library & Folders --> Manage Library Fields --> and made sure that the Comments and Copyright fields have the "Store in file tags (when possible)" checked (Therefore any changes in MC14 to those fields should update the fields in the file, right?)
2) In MC14 settings --> General --> I have "Update tags when file info changes" also checked

Does anyone know why the tags in the files themselves won't update when I change them in MC14? Is this a problem with Windows 7 that other people have been having?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: MC 14 & Windows 7 Tagging Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 09:48:48 pm »

By default, emptying a field will not clear the tag.  This is because, at tag time, unused values in the tags are preserved to avoid removing data a user might want.

If you "Remove Tags", then "Update Tags from Library", empty tags will be removed from the tag.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

tgrounds

• Recent member
  • Lovin' life!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 09:43:44 am »

I'm having the same issues.  I cleared the tags and updated them from my library and all of the fields on the .wav files are still empty.  Any other thoughts? 

Tom Grounds
IT Consultant - Pariveda Solutions
http://www.parivedasolutions.com

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 10:19:19 am »

I didn't notice this thread in July.

By default, emptying a field will not clear the tag.  This is because, at tag time, unused values in the tags are preserved to avoid removing data a user might want.

If you "Remove Tags", then "Update Tags from Library", empty tags will be removed from the tag.

This is a surprising reply. If I clear a library field value, the corresponding file tag is removed. I just tested this to be sure. In my opinion this is the correct behavior.

Perhaps you mean that if a file tag is removed outside MC that does not clear the corresponding field value inside the library if the tags are reread for some reason. Also this is the correct behavior because MC cannot possibly know if the file tag has been intentionally removed outside MC or if the tag value has only existed inside the library.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 10:22:58 am »

I'm having the same issues.  I cleared the tags and updated them from my library and all of the fields on the .wav files are still empty.  Any other thoughts?

Hmm... you cleared the tags and the fields are still empty...  ?

Could you please rephrase?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up