INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FFDShow cause computer to reboot  (Read 2176 times)

tuvx2

• Recent member
FFDShow cause computer to reboot
« on: July 12, 2010, 04:12:15 pm »

Whenever I play certain videos in MC (DVD ifo files, mp4, flv, etc) it tries to download FFDShow. I tried to allow it, but afterwards it reboots my computer without warning, then anytime I open one of those files again, reboots again without warning. Very annoying. Anyone know what might be wrong? I am using Windows 7 64-bit; I never had problems with XP.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: FFDShow cause computer to reboot
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 05:18:39 pm »

I have 64-bit Windows 7.  MC downloads FFDShow if it can not find it on your computer for some file types.  It works fine for me.  Causing computer to reboot is not normal.  Email me a log (see this wiki article on logging).  yaobing at jriver dot com

It could be a system problem on your computer.  You can try manually install FFDShow, available here.  
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

tuvx2

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 09:10:39 pm »

Ok... I like to think I'm computer savvy, but sometimes I question myself.

I use a "Power User" as my general logon to Windows (not an admin, as I felt this would provide a level of security; am I wrong?).
Typically I install most programs while logged in as an administrator. Recently I have begun to use the Windows 7 option to run updates or codec installs while logged in as a Power User, but providing the administrator password. Is this a bad thing?

Just for s&g, I logged in as an administrator and attempted to play the files... they worked without problems.

A similiar problem happened when I installed VLC (while logged in as the Power User), in that when VLC tried to open it would crash.

So, am I missing something or do I always need to run media software as an administrator? or am I just doing something wrong?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 07:49:42 am »

Normally, you should run MC as an administrator at least once, after installing it as administrator.  You then can run it as a power user.  Installing additional plug-ins and filters would require administrator privileges.  I guess that is what caused the problems.  The good news is that you only need to do it once.  Once you are able to successfully play your videos, you can go back to playing in power user account.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up