INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: saving custom file naming rules  (Read 1896 times)

lise

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
saving custom file naming rules
« on: June 22, 2002, 06:45:26 am »

Doing a forum search on this returned no hits, and yet I'm sure that it was discussed, perhaps as long ago as one year.

Is there a way to create custom file naming and directory rules (eg ARTIST-YEAR-ALBUM-TRACK#-NAME), and have them appear in the drop-down list?  I find myself always having to retype them.
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

lise

RE:saving custom file naming rules
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2002, 10:11:25 am »

I know, I know, post on a Saturday and that's what you get...

so:  bump.

MHorton

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2002, 10:34:02 am »

>>>>>>>Is there a way to create custom file naming and directory rules (eg ARTIST-YEAR-ALBUM-TRACK#-NAME), and have them appear in the drop-down list?

I think that you can just highlight/cut one of the choices and replace it with pretty much whatever scheme you want. I used to use Artist - Name - Year, then Artist - year - album - name, and I just typed those schemes in the box. Same goes for directory rules. This was a feature that I requested (someone else may have do so first, though.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2002, 10:46:08 am »

Sorry, but there's no way to save them in 8.0.  However, enough people have requested this that we'll do something about it for the next version.

Thanks.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Chico

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2002, 11:14:36 am »

Matt,
Will that include being able to use the "Album Artist" as well?  It is a real hassle if the Directory Rule is set to "Artist\Album" when burning a data CD of albums with various artists such as movie sound tracks or compilation albums.  When I backup my albums, I use the Artist\Album directory rule, but when using this with sound tracks I get a seperate folder for each artist on the album which really gets annoying.  I would like for MJ to be able to save these albums in a "Various Artist" directory which I have as the Album Artist in the ID3 tag.  Right now, I have to store the various artist albums using a different  program.

lise

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2002, 11:53:19 am »

MHorton,

We use the same naming conventions!  I do what you do already, I mean, type the info in all the time.  I was hoping I could just save the format, and select it form the drop-down, instead of having to type it manually all the time.  Oh well.  V9 perhaps.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2002, 11:56:11 am »

I would like to save them, i would also like to edit the ID3v1.1 Genre List, Could You Make The Genre List External \ Editable?
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Michel

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2002, 12:11:36 pm »

> i would also like to edit the ID3v1.1 Genre List,
> Could You Make The Genre List External \Editable?

ID3v1 genre is a number which has a fixed meaning, not a text. So if you edit the MJ genre list to put, let say french rock instead of funk, you will continue to see funk in another player... I know that you don't like ID3v2 tag but...

PS. I don't like myself id3 tag (both v1 and v2), I think that tag system as the one of vorbis (ogg) format simpler and more powerful (for example you can set many tags for the same file).

MHorton

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2002, 12:39:33 pm »

oops, lise, i re-read your original post and that you want to be able to save the custom format is clear

presently, i'm back to the standard artist - album - track# - name

Michael

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2002, 12:40:39 pm »

>> ID3v1 genre is a number which has a fixed meaning
Not if you change it.

But the Asc Code Is Fixed, with an External File The Codes Could Be Changed To Sute The User, Maybe Anything Above the Offical Id3v1.1 Extended Tags Could Be Changed By The User Would Be Ok Upto Chr$(255)
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2002, 02:11:12 pm »

ALBUMARTIST will work for building filenames and renaming from filenames in tonight's build.

Take care.

-Matt
JRiver, Inc.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Chico

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2002, 08:48:20 am »

WOOOO HOOOO!!!
You ARE the man, Matt!

Keep it comin, dude!

ThanX,
Chico Next Page