INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vorbis comment ALBUMARTIST tag working in FLAC but not OGG  (Read 4509 times)

mond

• Recent member
Vorbis comment ALBUMARTIST tag working in FLAC but not OGG
« on: July 16, 2010, 05:45:07 am »

I tried to find an answer to this in here and through Google but with no luck.

My main library is in FLAC and MJ handles Vorbis comments just fine. However, for my laptop I convert to hi-quality ogg to save some space. The problem is that MJ will not read the custom ALBUMARTIST library field. If I convert the same file back to FLAC it works just fine. Looking at the two files side by side with Mp3Tag, they apparently both contain the same ALBUMARTIST tag.

Is there any way around this, or can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Using MJ 14.0.166 (same with MJ 12.xx)

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Vorbis comment ALBUMARTIST tag working in FLAC but not OGG
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 06:56:53 am »

I tried to find an answer to this in here and through Google but with no luck.

My main library is in FLAC and MJ handles Vorbis comments just fine. However, for my laptop I convert to hi-quality ogg to save some space. The problem is that MJ will not read the custom ALBUMARTIST library field. If I convert the same file back to FLAC it works just fine. Looking at the two files side by side with Mp3Tag, they apparently both contain the same ALBUMARTIST tag.

Is there any way around this, or can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Using MJ 14.0.166 (same with MJ 12.xx)

Thanks.
If you created a custom tag, you'll need to add it on the laptop, too.

mond

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 07:14:21 am »

Thanks for your reply.
Perhaps my original post was unclear:

I have created the custom library field ALBUMARTIST in MJ. This works fine for FLAC files (both on laptop and desktop, using different MJ versions), but not with OGG files. Anyway, the laptop thing was just contextual info  :)

So for instance, if I create a duplicate track in FLAC format (converted from OGG using dbPowerAmp), placed in the same folder as the original OGG file, the FLAC version will display ALBUMARTIST in MJ, but the OGG file will not. As noted in my original post, Mp3Tag informs me that both files contain the ALBUMARTIST tag.

For the record, I am having the same problem with other Vorbis tags (i.e. DISCNUMBER) - works for FLAC but not OGG.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 07:25:14 am »

Did you try converting with MJ?

Did you try MP3?

mond

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 07:54:38 am »

Mp3 works as expected, but that's using a different tag, so not perhaps not really saying much.

Converting the FLAC file (which displays ALBUMARTIST) to OGG using MJ produces a file with no album artist tag of any kind.

To reiterate: both FLAC and OGG use Vorbis Comment, and both files contain the same ALBUMARTIST tag, yet MJ only reads the tag from FLAC files.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 08:21:37 am »

The Ogg Vorbis plugin in MC and MJ uses the old Ogg tagger (introduced in 2003 or so). Any custom tag that is written to the file has an additional "MEDIAJUKEBOX:" string in the beginning of the file tag's name

For example,
Library field:  ALBUMARTIST  <=>  file tag:  MEDIAJUKEBOX:ALBUMARTIST   (it works like this in both directions)

It would be nice if the Ogg tagger would work like the FLAC tagger (i.e. library field = file tag, except a couple of commonly used mappings). I have requested this a few times.

Also the APE tagger would be better if it would read and write "WYSIWYG" tag names. The APE and Musepack formats are still tagged in the old style. The WavPack plugin, which was originally developed by scthom, doesn't add anything to the names in the APE v.2 file tags and it works fine.

EDIT

If these changes are implemented it would necessary to fix also the Replay Gain tags to be compatible with other programs and devices. The same naming and conversion system that is used with FLAC would be correct also for Ogg Vorbis and Monkey's Audio. Musepack has its own official system for storing the Replay Gain values in the file header (not in the APE tags).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

mond

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 08:34:12 am »

Hi Alex, thanks for clearing that up. I will  go with a different format for lossy storage.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 08:59:02 am »

MP3 would be fully compatible. You can use either the "TXXX Album Artist" or the "TPE2" aka "Band/Orchestra/Accompaniment" ID3v2 file tag for Album Artist. MJ14 is designed to be compatible with both variants. "TPE2" is used in e.g. Winamp, WMP and iTunes. Some other programs or devices use "TXXX Album Artist".

If you would rather use Ogg Vorbis you can create an "action" in MP3tag that copies the ALBUMARTIST values to MEDIAJUKEBOX:ALBUMARTIST. You can also just let the file tags be as they are and retag the various artists albums inside MJ whenever the automatically applied "(multiple artists)" value is not appropriate.

EDIT

The automatic Album Artist system is explained in this thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=33255 and in the Wiki: http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Using_Album_Artist_and_Album_Artist_(Auto).

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

mond

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 09:41:38 am »

The automatic album artist is pretty nifty, but quite a few albums in my lib have a different/custom tag. So I would rather keep that tags I have allready spent time customizing :-)

OGG was chosen because it handles gapless playback better on my Sansa Clip, and so I could use the allready converted stuff.
Anyway, thanx for your help and suggestions, I will propably just go with ol' mp3. Unless you have another sugestion at hand? :)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 01:55:31 pm »

The Ogg Vorbis plugin in MC and MJ uses the old Ogg tagger (introduced in 2003 or so). Any custom tag that is written to the file has an additional "MEDIAJUKEBOX:" string in the beginning of the file tag's name

For example,
Library field:  ALBUMARTIST  <=>  file tag:  MEDIAJUKEBOX:ALBUMARTIST   (it works like this in both directions)

It would be nice if the Ogg tagger would work like the FLAC tagger (i.e. library field = file tag, except a couple of commonly used mappings). I have requested this a few times.

Also the APE tagger would be better if it would read and write "WYSIWYG" tag names. The APE and Musepack formats are still tagged in the old style. The WavPack plugin, which was originally developed by scthom, doesn't add anything to the names in the APE v.2 file tags and it works fine.

EDIT

If these changes are implemented it would necessary to fix also the Replay Gain tags to be compatible with other programs and devices. The same naming and conversion system that is used with FLAC would be correct also for Ogg Vorbis and Monkey's Audio. Musepack has its own official system for storing the Replay Gain values in the file header (not in the APE tags).

Thanks Alex, I'm going to start working on that today.

Pages: [1]   Go Up