INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: library editor  (Read 997 times)

baba100

library editor
« on: July 20, 2010, 05:43:19 am »

Hi all,

Is it possible for you to release a utility for ‘library editor’?  So we can easily edit library DB add, remove, delete tag, etc…
MC taking control as HTPC and I think it’s just obvious this tool is required

I add more movies files to MC DB and I want to tag them ‘number of play’ 1, what should I do?

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
Re: library editor
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 10:13:22 am »

I add more movies files to MC DB and I want to tag them ‘number of play’ 1, what should I do?
Take a look at the [Number Plays] field in the MC database. It automatically tracks the number of times a file has been played. You can display it as a column in any view by right-clicking one of the columns in the view and selecting [Number Plays] from the pop-up window.

You can also use the [Number Plays] (and other fields) as search and sort criteria, which may prove even more useful for you than displaying the number of times played.

As far as a "library editor" utility...that is a big portion of what Media Center is for. It has many very powerful library editing tools built in. Ask some specific questions here and you'll start to get a feel for how the program works and what its possibilities are.

-JB

baba100

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 10:47:12 am »

thanks for the answer

Yes, i know what you talking about, but what happen if i want to change the value of any tag?

Though number of suggestion I got here, I think there is no simple way to edit value in the DB.
this can be headache when you need to change lot of file, for example: I have a TV series with 110 episode (one episode is one movie file) now I already watched 40 episodes and they got the tag 'number play' 1

now I want to change it to 0. what i should do, some here suggest me something but its not work. moreover I think its not appropriate solution.

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 04:30:06 pm »

Yes, i know what you talking about, but what happen if i want to change the value of any tag?
Unless I misunderstand what you're looking to do there are several options to edit tags.
   1) Tag Window - Select one or more files, press <Alt + Enter> or select "Tag" in the Action Window (located bottom-left of GUI). Choose the field you'd like to edit and click on it in the Tag window. Enter the value you like, press <Enter>.
   2) Pane Tagging - using a view with panes, you can select one or more files, press F4 and click in a checkbox that you'd like to tag all files as.
   3) Tree Tagging - I don't use this myself, but if you do a forum search you'll find more info on it.

this can be headache when you need to change lot of file, for example: I have a TV series with 110 episode (one episode is one movie file) now I already watched 40 episodes and they got the tag 'number play' 1
There is definitely a way to reset [Number Plays] to zero...it might be as simple as
-selecting all of the files,
-opening the tag window,
-adding [Number Plays] to the editable tags from the drop-down available
   -by left-clicking the icon at the top-left of the tagging window,
-clicking on [Number Plays] and typing in 0.
(I know that you can't manually change [Number Plays] to a non-zero number, but 0 might be allowed in this manner.)
If the method I described doesn't work, try a forum search for "number plays reset" and you should find something. Whatever the method is, it should take a matter of seconds to do once you know how.

If you want to manually keep track of the number of plays for a file, creating a custom field is your best bet. Do a forum or wiki search for "custom field" and you should find plenty of info.

There are numerous tools to edit many files at once. Any of the 3 methods mentioned above will work, statically, or alternatively complex expressions can be built to edit tags based on your criteria. MC is extremely powerful for editing metadata. It may take some time to get used to how it operates, but in my mind it is well worth it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up