INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixed Genre Smartlist - Select maximum percentage of given genre  (Read 1257 times)

brossmac

• World Citizen

Okay, I'm trying to set up a Smartlist that picks from a list of 12 genres.

Is there a way to specify that 2 genres should not make up more than 10% each of the overall mix?

I haven't been able to figure this out.

Thanks.

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Mixed Genre Smartlist - Select maximum percentage of given genre
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 12:11:10 pm »

You can specify that each of the genres makes up a selected percentage of the overall mix, but not as a cap. In other words you can have a mix where Hard Rock = 20% of the mix and Indie Rock = 20% of the mix and each will make up exactly 20% of the mix. You use the Mix() command for this. You can find more information under the Wiki pages here: http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Smartlist_and_Search_-_Rules_and_Modifiers
You can also use the Limit() command (more info on same page), but you have to limit to an exact number, not a percentage.
Hope this helps...
-JB

brossmac

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 07:06:59 pm »

Man, these expressions give me a headache.

So where do I enter this in the wizard?  Limit percentage?  Mix?  What I'm trying doesn't seem to do the trick.

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 09:53:46 am »

Unfortunately Mix() and Limit() (the advanced version) don't work too well with the wizard (at least for my liking).

Here's an example from one of my smartlists:
Code: [Select]
[Media Type]=[Audio] ~mix=300,45%,{[Rating]=>3},30%,{[Rating]=3},25%,{[Rating]=2} ~limit=-1,7,[Style] ~limit=-1,1,[Artist]Go to the smartlist/search wizard and at the bottom left click the "import/export" button. Paste the preceding into the text box, then click OK.
As is, this list will generate 300 songs 45% rated 4 or 5, 30% rated 3, 25% rated 2. There will be no more than 7 songs of any one Style and no more than one song by any one Artist. Change [Style] to [Genre] if that makes more sense for your database. You can use the wizard to add in other criteria as you like once this is pasted in.
This should get you started, but post back with any more questions. It took me a while to get an understanding of both of these command too.
-JB
Pages: [1]   Go Up