INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi-channel flac playback  (Read 1733 times)

SteveGoff

• Junior Woodchuck
Multi-channel flac playback
« on: July 23, 2010, 12:00:51 am »

I just purchased Media Center 15, in part because I'd read that it has bit-perfect playback using flac. That seems to be the case with my two-channel rips of CDs, using the WASAPI output. I am using the HDMI output of my computer (Intel i3-530 igpu) into an HDMI input on my Integra DHC-9.9 processor. The computer can send multi-channel audio through the HDMI output, and the Integra can receive multi-channel PCM via the HDMI inputs.

I also have some multi-channel rips of DVD Audio discs made with DVD Audio Extractor. These are 24/96 six-channel flac files. No matter what audio output mode I try, Media Center 15 will not play these files. They will play in both XBMC and MPC-HC, but of course they are resampled to 48kHz.

Does Media Center 15 support multi-channel flac output via HDMI? If so, how can it be configured to do so?

Thanks,
Steve

SteveGoff

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Multi-channel flac playback
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 12:11:53 am »

Strangely, I just got it to work by lowering the buffer time. Is that normal?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 08:35:59 am »

Trying to open hardware in WASAPI exclusive mode with buffers larger than the physical buffers on the card will fail with some hardware.  In these cases, shrinking the buffer size will help.

The program tries to handle this case and down-scale the buffer automatically if the driver reports out of memory errors.  Its possible the i3 driver doesn't report the same error codes as other cards we've tested.  We'll test an i3 here and see if we can learn anything.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

SteveGoff

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 10:55:53 am »

Thanks,
Things played fine after I reset the buffer. By the way, I love theater mode.
Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up