INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DNG files  (Read 1079 times)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
DNG files
« on: July 28, 2010, 12:32:20 pm »

Just wondering how MC deals with dng files. They contain medium quality jpeg previews. Will MC use those jpeg previews when dealing with file playback etc. or does it use it's own method of decoding the image?

If MC only interacted with the jpeg previews, viewing dngs would be snappy, and I could use MC to organize my photos again.

Anybody have any experience with these files?

park

• MC Beta Team
Re: DNG files
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 10:35:17 pm »

To answer some of my questions. It seems MC chokes even on dng files, and even when using the library in direct access mode. It appears that MC's raw cache is generated on demand (when you hover over an image), which is pretty useless for a library of thousands of images.

Since dngs already have a low res cache type image embedded in them, it would be really good if there were an option in MC to use embedded jpegs in raw images instead of decoding the raw data itself.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 10:38:06 pm »

I wouldn't use DNGs unless you really need your files to be portable.  Nothing like an incompatible standard.

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 10:30:32 am »

Forgive my extreme enthusiasm for this idea, but the beauty of it just keeps coming back to me.

Here are the advantages I see:

1. We can use MC to organize our images. Mc will use the embedded jpegs so building thumbnails, serving to remote clients, and scrolling through the list would all be extremely snappy.

2. Converting raw files to dng is a one step process in Adobe bridge (and I imagine in lightroom too) so  there is very little headache in moving between programs.

3. You could move a bunch of images to a temporary folder called something like "Processing" and then open that folder in bridge/lightroom to do all of you color, cropping etc. Then by updating thumbnails in MC you have total synchronisation between it and Bridge/lightroom.

4. You would be able to upload photos to flickr etc from MC knowing that no more work needs to be done on them. MC would just upload the embedded jpeg.
(Currently, dcraw processing is just not good enough, and so you always have to export jpegs from MC, then work on them in some other software, and then decide whether to import the new files back to MC and stack, or just upload to flickr outside of MC and then throw away the processed files, sticking with the original raw files in MC)

5. xmp data would be inside the file like with jpegs. So no sidecar files to worry about.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 06:22:36 pm »

For the JRiver folk there is an Adobe SDK available to support DNG.

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 08:45:21 pm »

Can I start a petition to get you working there again :)

Then we might see some progress on the photos front again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up