INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Struggling with asio and wasapi  (Read 3103 times)

iwf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
Struggling with asio and wasapi
« on: July 29, 2010, 04:36:31 pm »

I've just built a fanless pc based on a Dell fx160 and am using a teredak USB / spidif converter into my receiver.  Both the teredak and receiver can cope with 24/96.

However MC doesn't seem to be able to get exclusive control over the USB device therefore it defaults to that set in the driver part of control panel and wasapi gives a hardware error on anything above 16 bits. 16/96 works fines but I'm now buying 24/96 flac files from hdtracks it don't want to degrade the signal

Given I'm trying to send bit perfect data to the Dac this all a bit frustrating.

I should add though the Dell running win 7 headless and using webremote on an ipad to control it all is simply marvellous.

So questions

1 how does mc know what hardware limitation exist so to display the wasapi error message and

2 what might be stopping mc gaining exclusive control over the teredak

Regards

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Struggling with asio and wasapi
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 04:48:49 pm »

It sounds like your have a really neat setup.  Hopefully we can get everything working for you.

If 16 bit works, but 24 bit does not work, try toggling the WASAPI option:
Preset 24-bit data in a 32-bit package

Also, try a 16-bit file but use DSP Studio > Output Format to force the bitdepth to 24-bit.  Does that work?  You might try other sample rates in Output Format as well, just to see if it's the 96 KHz causing troubles instead of the 24-bit.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

iwf

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 05:21:22 pm »

Matt

Tried all sorts of things and just now wasapi refused to play anything, claiming my hardware wasn't even able to support 16/44.1.

It's late here in the uk so perhaps I'll come back to it tomorrow and document what works and what doesn't

Determined to get it all working all the same.

Btw the Dell only cost me £200. £200 for a fan less atom based pc 160gb drive (soon to be replaced with ssd) and win 7.  A a bargain music client pc ( all the flac files are stored on a nas)

Regards

iwf

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 04:14:21 pm »

So, having the afternoon off from work I got down to some testing.

I noticed that although there was a teredak device it was in fact using the standard windows driver. I was able to upgrade the driver to the teredak.

Asio worked as before seemingly ignoring the various settings and only working to the setting set in the control panel app. Irrespective of what was played everything was upscaled to 24/192.

Wasapi was a disaster, not even allowing 16/44.1 to play, giving instead the usual your hardware doesn't support the chosen format error. I did try the 24/32 bit switch but it had no effect.

However, and in frustration, I tried kernel streaming. This worked with the dac recognizing changes to sample rates.

On the face of it ive got a solution. Why I've no idea. Why kernel streaming should work on a win 7 machine yet nether asio of did is beyond me. Now whether the SQ is any different is another matter.

And of course it only worked today. It might not tomorrow!

Matt, any comment kernel vs asio or wasapi?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 04:17:19 pm »

I wonder if you set the audio device in Tools/Options/Audio.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 04:21:59 pm »

Matt, any comment kernel vs asio or wasapi?

All three can provide hardware-direction communication.

The best choice simply depends on the hardware and/or driver.  This is why we support all these output methods.

With that said, I would expect WASAPI to work if you picked 24-bit / 44.1 in DSP Studio > Output Format.  If it doesn't, you might report the problem to TeraDak.  We would be happy to assist them in trouble-shooting the problem.  WASAPI must be a little tricky on the hardware side because we've worked with several manufacturers to help them get it working.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

iwf

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 01:10:03 am »

Matt

I'll have another play later on, but I don't expect to get much out of teredak. I bought the device from eBay and the product is made in China. Honestly I thought it would play out of the box, and i'm a little unhappy at the amount of effort required so far.

However more importantly if it works and gives bit perfect output I don't care which method works best. Thankfully MC supports everything (for which I thank you very much).

It gets its big test this afternoon. Big BBQ party. The Dell will sit outside next to the amps. MC running things with files transmitted across wireless. Through a product called airfoil and an airport express ( suggest you have a look at that, great tool) I'll have synced music playing indoors through the hi fi.

All of it controlled by my iPhone using webremote (can we please, please have a 'shuffle remaining control')

I've got a remaining issue to do with 24/88 which isn't supported on the device. Dsp control isn't clever enough to filter a single format and I don't want mc to resample all my 24/96 files.

I'll report back later

Ian  

iwf

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 03:52:47 pm »

Matt

An update. The party was a huge success. MC running across airfoil hooked up to a rotel power amp and two huge speakers, all controlled with an iPad and webremote

So there I was walking around the garden changing playlists, adjusting volume, having an absolute ball. Biggest hit was the same music sync across the whole house. Guests got a real buzz out of using the bathroom (that's the room with the ceiling mounted speakers) listening to the same music as people outside.

Kernel streaming worked fine for me, but I still want to try out a high end DAC.

So I'm a happy chappie, apart from the re shuffle issue

Regards
Pages: [1]   Go Up