INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to configure JRiver MC15 to work with Izotope Ozone 4 ?  (Read 10368 times)

Madien

• Recent member
How to configure JRiver MC15 to work with Izotope Ozone 4 ?
« on: August 05, 2010, 03:07:33 am »

Hello !
I have recently discovered JRiver Media Center and I am really amazed by this powerful media player.
I have spent the last months to find a media player able to play and read AIFF tags and I was quite desperate. (I don't want to use iTunes any more).

I have tried so many players and was ready to come back to iTunes and then I discovered MC ! Amazing interface, very easy to use, and all AIFF tags recognised perfectly. And sound is great !

I configured it for bitperfect signal and on ASIO driver (I have a Lynx 2B sound card).

My objective is to also use Ozone 4 to adjust sound with its integrated parametric EQ. I have managed to import Ozone 4 in the DSP window but when I activate Ozone, there is an issue : the input/ouput are all saturated and stay in red in Ozone. A very "harsh", saturated sound comes from the speakers.

Does someone know how to configure JRiver MC to work with Ozone 4 ?

It would be great.
Many thanks in advance
Madien

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: How to configure JRiver MC15 to work with Izotope Ozone 4 ?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 04:43:34 am »

The iZotope Ozone 4 trial works for me. I have had it installed on my test PC a few days. So far I have not experienced any problems. The input seems normal when no other DSP is involved and the output is what I'd expect. I guess it would be possible to misconfigure Ozone to clip the output, but that should not affect the input level.

I don't have any experience of Lynx 2B, but I don't think a sound card can alter the signal inside the DSP chain.

I attached a screenshot of the Ozone 4 interface and its level meters during playback on my computer.

Regarding the AIFF format, you may already be aware of this, but in addition to just reading AIFF tags you can optionally also save tag changes to the files. AIFF and Wave tagging is disabled by default because support for tags in uncompressed formats is not very common, but you can enable it in Tools > Plug-in Manager > Input > WAVE & AIFF Plugin > Configure...

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Madien

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 07:15:33 am »

Many thanks Alex

I don't know why it doesn't work : I have noticed that Output is active on your screenshot; perhaps I have forgotten something.
What kind of settings do you have for the output/input parameters ?

Madien

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 07:41:58 am »

Do you mean in Ozone > Options > I/O ?

I have not touched the I/O settings. Everything is set to default values.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Madien

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 09:06:46 am »

No I was speaking about the I/O options on JRiver. I assume I have set something wrong to have this "harsh" noise and all I/O in red.
Madien

Madien

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 01:01:11 am »

Hi
No one can help me ? I can't find a way to have a normal sound with Ozone 4 ...

What options/configuration shall I use ?

Thanks
Madien

gappie

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 03:20:20 am »

im sorry, i dont use that plugin.
i assume though, that sound i good when you dont use the plugin?
now when you use the plugin and you click on the by pass button. what happens?

:)
gab

Madien

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 08:25:21 am »

Hello Gab
Yes, when I don't use the plugin, the sound is perfect.

Even after having activated the bypass, it is the same.

The inputs/outputs leve are still at the maximum ...

Madien

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 08:26:33 am »

If you're using Win7 or Vista, did you try WASAPI?

We're talking with Lynx now, so don't give up.

Have you tried MC's DSP features?

gappie

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 08:38:08 am »

hello madien,
jim reffers to this thread http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=58949.msg398816#msg398816
i was thinking about checking out ozone. looks like an interesting plug in. altough im planning to use it with an other program. i will see what it does in mc.
im also on xp with asio through a rme fireface 800

ill let you know

gab

gappie

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 09:23:06 am »

it seems to be working for me. more or less out of the box. had to turn off the output format in mc because the plug in did not like 48 kHz, 24 bit , 4 channel. but that did not give any i/o problems, just a message at the top about unsupported format.

nice plug in though.

gab

oh.. what i also thought. did you use the vst or the directx plugin?

TreeFrog77

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 01:00:59 pm »

Let me throw my hat into the ring as having problems with Ozone and MC 15 as well.  I've been using Ozone for years with previous version of MC, however 15 is giving me fits with it.  I am able to get it working, albeit not without issue.

Specifically, I'm getting a lot of weird playback issues.  Most things playback just fine and pass through the filter fine.  However, certain MP3s cause it to either corrupt the output (double-speed and/or skipping) or crash MC completely.  If MC doesn't completely crash, the audio output is sometimes completely corrupted on anything I play after that point.  I have saved a log file from a crash, if it may help.  I have compared an MP3 that causes the problem to one that doesn't and can't see anything really different other than bitrate (my first assumption was maybe something to do with VBR vs CBR, but they are both CBR).

If you would like to test with a podcast feed, here are some to try:

The Daily GizWiz - This one always plays fine (as all the others from the Twit network): http://leoville.tv/podcasts/dgw.xml

The Cranky Geeks - This one always plays double-speed and sometimes corrupts the output after that or crashes MC completely: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/ziffdavis/crankygeekspodcast

If I de-select Ozone from DSP, everything plays fine.  Like I said, I've been using various versions of Ozone with various versions of MC for years without issue.  I'm currently on Ozone 4.

If it matters, here is my system info:
Media Center 15.0.87 Registered -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 15\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 3082 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 356 MB

Internet Explorer: 8.0.6001.18702 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive D: LITE-ON  DVDRW SOHW-812S    Addr: 0:0:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 01:07:42 pm »

Let me throw my hat into the ring as having problems with Ozone and MC 15 as well.  I've been using Ozone for years with previous version of MC, however 15 is giving me fits with it.  I am able to get it working, albeit not without issue.

Are you using it as a VST?  If possible, try that instead of DirectShow.

Also, changing the buffering slider in Options > Audio could make a difference.  Very small buffering values (like 0.05 seconds) will move smaller chunks through the DSP at a time for latency reasons.  Of course, the DSP plugin should support any size block.

Finally, it might be worth contacting the maker of Ozone.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 01:13:17 pm »

The Daily GizWiz - This one always plays fine (as all the others from the Twit network): http://leoville.tv/podcasts/dgw.xml

The Cranky Geeks - This one always plays double-speed and sometimes corrupts the output after that or crashes MC completely: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/ziffdavis/crankygeekspodcast

Force a single output format (channels, bit depth, and sample rate) in DSP Studio > Output Format.

Does that make a difference?

TreeFrog77

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 02:07:52 pm »

Okay, here we go...  ;)

Are you using it as a VST?  If possible, try that instead of DirectShow.

I'm not sure which way I added it (probably DirectShow), but it doesn't do anything if I try to add it as VST (probably because it's already in the list.  How can I remove it from the plug-in list, so I can re-add it?

Also, changing the buffering slider in Options > Audio could make a difference.  Very small buffering values (like 0.05 seconds) will move smaller chunks through the DSP at a time for latency reasons.  Of course, the DSP plugin should support any size block.

Tried 5 seconds and things really got bad (restarted MC to test).

Tried 1 second and the problem clip played fine the first try (restared MC to test).... however, when immediately changed to another file to play, MC crashed (saved the log).  Restarted, tried to play the same thing again, switched tracks again, and boom... another crash.  Restarted, played a known good file first (played fine), switched to that same problematic file and got the double-speed/skipping problem.

Tried .05 seconds and garbage (similiar to 5 seconds).

Finally, it might be worth contacting the maker of Ozone.

I don't think this is a solution, since Ozone works perfectly in all my other audio programs/workstations, without any issue whatsoever.

Force a single output format (channels, bit depth, and sample rate) in DSP Studio > Output Format.

Does that make a difference?

I had tried messing around with this before, but didn't have any luck, as Ozone didn't like the output format.  I think I just figured out why... I tried setting it to simple 16-bit/44k and, most importanly, 2-channels.  Tried with various bitdepths/sample rates and all worked through Ozone and everything plays fine (including the problematic ones).  Interesting.  Since I only use this particular machine for house audio, this will work fine.

So that leads me to two other questions:

1) I've maxed out the samplerate/bitdepth and it seems to handle it, although at this maxed out setting I get a little buffering stutter from time time.  Lowered it to 24/96k and haven't noticed any thus far.  So any drawbacks/benefits to using higher?  Not sure what combination is best suited here.  I listen to mainly MP3s/AACs/CD-rips.  Haven't really got into these ultra-high quality formats just yet.

2) On each restart of MC, I have to go into Ozone and select my settings again.  I seem to recall I had fixed this in MC 14, but can't recall how.  Possibly to do with it being directshow vs. VST (in which case, it goes back to above... how to remove it as direct show and re-add it as VST)?  I'm really thinking this difference might be the cause of all the problems, since I never had to use this "Output Format" plugin before to get Ozone to work fine.

Just a note... until I enabled this "Output Format" plug-in, switching tracks/advancing was almost instaneous.  Now there is a noticable delay.  I went in and dropped the buffering to around a second and it actually made a big difference.  Might even try a lower setting.

Thanks so much guys.

Madien

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2010, 03:55:42 pm »

Hi
I have tried to set manually the channels, bit depth, and sample rate.

I am using Windows Seven.

I use Ozone through JRiver DSP window.

Always the same, sound is saturated when I activate Ozone. Same with different buffering option.

Do I need to close and open MC to activate the changes ?

I have tried something else: I have configured Console with wave input and wave output with Lynx ASIO. Then I have opened Ozone 4 in Console and linked wave in and wave out. Then, I have sound coming to Ozone but this time, it is very low, I can hardly see the frequencies response in the parametric EQ.

I am quite lost. I think it is not a big problem but I don't what to do ... Who should I contact in the JRiver developper team to have an answer ?

Thank you again
Madien

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 03:58:15 pm »

You're talking to JRiver here, but it isn't clear this is a JRiver problem.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 05:19:17 pm »

Since the problem only occurs when Ozone is enabled, it means some change Ozone is making to the signal is a problem.

Maybe uninstall and reinstall Ozone or double-check the Ozone settings really carefully.  Use Ozone as a VST if possible. (click 'Add Plugin' in DSP Studio, remove Ozone, then add again by browsing to the Ozone VST)

I'm sorry to not have a more concrete answer, but this isn't something we've heard before.

TreeFrog77

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2010, 05:34:55 pm »

Maybe uninstall and reinstall Ozone or double-check the Ozone settings really carefully.  Use Ozone as a VST if possible. (click 'Add Plugin' in DSP Studio, remove Ozone, then add again by browsing to the Ozone VST)

AH HA!  There is the option to Uninstall (who would have thought it would be hidden under "Add Plug-in..").

Did that.  Added Ozone back as VST and wholla.  No problems whatsoever.  Even disabled the "Auto Output" plugin and all files (including the troubled ones) playback fine.  As I said before, this was what I thought was the most likely reason this was having trouble, but I didn't know how to remove it.  Note that I did not uninstall/reinstall Ozone itself from the system.  I use Ozone in a lot of high-end audio workstation tools, but all of them use it as VST.

And, as I predicted, it remembers your presets/settings upon restart when it is being used via VST.

Does the wiki contain the information about removing a plug-in?  I noticed an old thread on here asking that question, but it was never answered.

Thanks you guys.

Madien

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2010, 02:05:12 am »

Hi
I have found the solution :

If I add Ozone through the DSP window \ Add PLug-in \ Add directshow DSP filter \ I have access to a list containing : Param Eq, AEC, Ozone 4 ...
If I choose Ozone 4, it is added to the MC DSP list. When I activate it, I have this sound issue (harsh & saturated sound).

So I have listened to you and after many experimentations, I shall not import Ozone 4 through "Add directshow DSP filter" but through "Add JRiver, VST, or winamp plug-in". Then I have to go to the directory C\Program files\Steinberg and choose "iZotope Ozone 4.dll"

Then it works !
Pages: [1]   Go Up