INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Imported playlist suddenly dropping a track  (Read 2116 times)

sluizer

• World Citizen
Imported playlist suddenly dropping a track
« on: August 27, 2010, 10:14:26 am »

Originally, I had imported a number of my iTunes playlists into MC, as a kind of test. However, I hadn't done anything other than import them. Last night I noticed that several of them did not have the same number of tracks as the corresponding playlists in itunes.

So, I imported an iTunes playlist into MC. Initially, the MC plyalist showed exactly the same number of tracks as the original iTunes playlist.  Then, within a minute or so, with absolutely no action on my part, it suddenly it showed one less. (I had the playlist open and saw that the correct number of tracks were imported, then I saw that the playlist showed the correct number of tracks, and then I saw the playlist suddenly show 1 less track.)  So, I figured out which track had disappeared from the playlist.  The track in question does still exist in the MC database, but it was removed from the playlist by MC.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here? This is not behavior that I (a) want or (b) would expect.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Imported playlist suddenly dropping a track
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 10:19:44 am »

Maybe some files don't exist where the playlist thinks they are.

sluizer

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 12:12:12 pm »

I'm not sure how to check that. The playlist is being output in a format that I cannot read directly.  Although the file extension is ".txt", it doesn't seem to be a kind of text file that I can read in an editor.

However, I am able to play the track in the iTunes playlist, so iTunes does know where the track is, which suggests (to me, at least) that this isn't the problem.

Any suggestions as to how I can check whether this is the problem?

sluizer

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 06:14:58 pm »

If I imported the playlist from iTunes AND I can play the track from the playlist in iTunes, is this possible? If it isn't (which is what I suspect), what could be the other causes?

Can anyone tell me how to read the playlist file that iTunes creates, because then I could check what's in that file directly? (I figured out which track is being dropped for a particular playlist and I still have the file that iTunes generated.)

This kind of behavior makes MC much less usable to me, because my iTunes playlists are VERY important to me. They contain a lot of information about what I've done and and how I organize my tracks.  (I'm a DJ and I have a playlist for every set I've ever done. I also have playlists of potential tracks to play for different kinds of gigs.) So, before I can commit to switching to MC, I need to understand what's happening and how to prevent it.

sluizer

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 09:36:00 am »

If I imported the playlist from iTunes AND I can play the track from the playlist in iTunes, is this possible? If it isn't (which is what I suspect), what could be the other causes?

Can anyone tell me how to read the playlist file that iTunes creates, because then I could check what's in that file directly? (I figured out which track is being dropped for a particular playlist and I still have the file that iTunes generated.)

This kind of behavior makes MC much less usable to me, because my iTunes playlists are VERY important to me. They contain a lot of information about what I've done and and how I organize my tracks.  (I'm a DJ and I have a playlist for every set I've ever done. I also have playlists of potential tracks to play for different kinds of gigs.) So, before I can commit to switching to MC, I need to understand what's happening and how to prevent it.

And the track exists in the main database.

Can anyone give me any help on this?  My iTunes playlists are very important to me and I need to be confident that MC won't mess them up.

sluizer

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 10:35:16 am »

And the track exists in the main database.

Can anyone give me any help on this?  My iTunes playlists are very important to me and I need to be confident that MC won't mess them up.

That is, the track that was dropped from the playlist imported to MC exists (and plays) just fine in the main MC database.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 11:18:24 am »

The playlist is being output in a format that I cannot read directly.  Although the file extension is ".txt", it doesn't seem to be a kind of text file that I can read in an editor.

Any text editor should be able to open a txt playlist that was generated by iTunes. It is a tabbed table that contains also the file tags. A spreadsheet program like Excel would clearly display the table structure.

A more straightforward format would be m3u. It contains only the filenames. Did you try to export the playlist in m3u format? (iTunes provides three format options: xml, txt and m3u)

What is the complete path and filename of the problem track?

To really find out what is causing the problem a sample playlist may be needed. Perhaps you could create a small playlist that contains a few tracks including the problem track (verify that you can reproduce the problem with that playlist). You can zip the playlist file, upload the zip file to some file sharing service and post the link here. (e.g. www.megaupload.com or www.rapidshare.com)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

sluizer

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 04:24:52 pm »

Any text editor should be able to open a txt playlist that was generated by iTunes. It is a tabbed table that contains also the file tags. A spreadsheet program like Excel would clearly display the table structure.

A more straightforward format would be m3u. It contains only the filenames. Did you try to export the playlist in m3u format? (iTunes provides three format options: xml, txt and m3u)

What is the complete path and filename of the problem track?

To really find out what is causing the problem a sample playlist may be needed. Perhaps you could create a small playlist that contains a few tracks including the problem track (verify that you can reproduce the problem with that playlist). You can zip the playlist file, upload the zip file to some file sharing service and post the link here. (e.g. www.megaupload.com or www.rapidshare.com)

I have tried 3 different text editors (including emacs) and none of them were able to read the file.  They all showed me gibberish.  However, thanks for your suggestion to try Excel -- that worked.

My version of iTunes only offers txt and xml options for exporting playlists.  I cannot find anything, anywhere about m3u format.  I just checked the help and it specifically says that you can use only text and xml for saving playlists.  (I'm using iTunes 8.2 and perhaps m3u was added in a later version of iTunes.)

I just exported the playlist in XML format and this is the full name of the file in that format:
         <key>Location</key><string>file://localhost/E:/Personal/MikeMusic/Newton%20Wayland%20&#38;%20The%20Houston%20Symphony/Big%20Band%20Salute-%20In%20the%20Mood/10%20Artie%20Shaw%20Medley-%20Nightmare-Carioca-Frenesi-Begin%20the%20Beguine-Lover%20Come%20Back-Softaly%20As%20in%20a%20Morning%20Sunrise-Star%20Dust-What%20Is%20This%20Thing%20Called%20Love-S'Wonderful.mp3</string>
Here is the location from the field that I was able to read in Excel:
E:\Personal\MikeMusic\Newton Wayland & The Houston Symphony\Big Band Salute- In the Mood\10 Artie Shaw Medley- Nightmare-Carioca-Frenesi-Begin the Beguine-Lover Come Back-Softaly As in a Morning Sunrise-Star Dust-What Is This Thing Called Love-S'Wonderful
And here is the location as given by the MC library:
E:\Personal\MikeMusic\Newton Wayland & The Houston Symphony\Big Band Salute- In the Mood\10 Artie Shaw Medley- Nightmare-Carioca-Frenesi-Begin the Beguine-Lover Come Back-Softaly As in a Morning Sunrise-Star Dust-What Is This Thing Called Love-S'Wonderful.mp3

I'll blow away the playlist and try importing the xml version to see if it has the same problem.  If it doesn't, then my problems may be solved.  If it does have the same problem, then I'll try creating a smaller playlist to see if it has the same problem.  I'm hoping the xml version will fix the problem (because I was able to import my entire library in xml format).

Anyway, thanks for the information. At least now I am able to read the file and have a plan for trying to solve this problem.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 05:28:22 pm »

It is an iTunes limitation.

Your filename has 259 characters. When iTunes exports a txt playlist the maximum filename length is 255 characters. If the filename is longer it will be truncated. That is why the filename in your txt file has only 255 characters (.mp3 is missing). A 255-character name like E:\Personal\MikeMusic\Newton Wayland & The Houston Symphony\Big Band Salute- In the Mood\10 Artie Shaw Medley- Nightmare-Carioca-Frenesi-Begin the Beguine-Lover Come Back-Softaly As in a Morning Sunrise-Star Dust-What Is This Thing Called Love-S'Wonde.mp3 works fine.

I have the latest iTunes version installed and its m3u export seems to limit the filename length to 256 characters, i.e. a filename can have one character more than a filename in a txt playlist file. If the name is longer it will not be included in the exported file at all.

An xml playlist file seems to be able to handle a 259-character filename.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

sluizer

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 07:20:42 pm »

It is an iTunes limitation.

Your filename has 259 characters. When iTunes exports a txt playlist the maximum filename length is 255 characters. If the filename is longer it will be truncated. That is why the filename in your txt file has only 255 characters (.mp3 is missing). A 255-character name like E:\Personal\MikeMusic\Newton Wayland & The Houston Symphony\Big Band Salute- In the Mood\10 Artie Shaw Medley- Nightmare-Carioca-Frenesi-Begin the Beguine-Lover Come Back-Softaly As in a Morning Sunrise-Star Dust-What Is This Thing Called Love-S'Wonde.mp3 works fine.

I have the latest iTunes version installed and its m3u export seems to limit the filename length to 256 characters, i.e. a filename can have one character more than a filename in a txt playlist file. If the name is longer it will not be included in the exported file at all.

An xml playlist file seems to be able to handle a 259-character filename.

Thank you. I will use xml playlists for importing, and I'll watch to see if any files disappear.
Pages: [1]   Go Up