INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Images edited with Windows Live Photo Gallery displayed incorrectly  (Read 1625 times)

ruskiru

• Recent member

Images that have been edited using Windows Live Photo Gallery appear in Media Center in their original unedited form, rendering browsing images in Media Center completely useless. This is probably caused by the fact that Windows Live Photo Gallery keeps a history of edits made to a photo and Media Center is looking at the history and not the updated image. Hope this can be fixed in the next release.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Images edited with Windows Live Photo Gallery displayed incorrectly
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 12:36:36 pm »

Images that have been edited using Windows Live Photo Gallery appear in Media Center in their original unedited form, rendering browsing images in Media Center completely useless. This is probably caused by the fact that Windows Live Photo Gallery keeps a history of edits made to a photo and Media Center is looking at the history and not the updated image. Hope this can be fixed in the next release.

I can't reproduce this.

My understanding is that Photo Gallery replaces the original file, so edits should appear to any program.  (the original image is kept in C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Photo Gallery\Original Images)

You might need to 'Update Library (from tags)' in Media Center (or enable auto-import) for it to detect external changes.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ruskiru

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 02:48:44 am »

I can't reproduce this.

My understanding is that Photo Gallery replaces the original file, so edits should appear to any program.  (the original image is kept in C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Photo Gallery\Original Images)

You might need to 'Update Library (from tags)' in Media Center (or enable auto-import) for it to detect external changes.

Auto-import is already enabled. I tried Update Library (from tags) but that didn't make any difference. Looking at the problem in more detail, Media Center seems to recognise edits from WLPG, such as cropped images, but doesn't see that photos have been rotated. Hence in Media Center all my previously rotated photos have been reset to their original orientation. Any further help would be appreciated.

gappie

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 03:00:27 am »

ok, on the chance that i say something stupid or besides the point. i dont use the program you referr to.
but could it be that windows live etc rotates the images but does not clear a rotation tag?

when you look at one of those images in mc and you open the tag window, you could look if there is a value in the rotation tag

:)
gab

ruskiru

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 07:12:56 am »

ok, on the chance that i say something stupid or besides the point. i dont use the program you referr to.
but could it be that windows live etc rotates the images but does not clear a rotation tag?

when you look at one of those images in mc and you open the tag window, you could look if there is a value in the rotation tag

gab

Thanks for your reply. Yes photos that were not rotated in Windows Live Photo Gallery have a clear rotation tag, and those that were have a value in the rotation tag, which seems to cause them to be displayed incorrectly (or correctly maybe) in MC.

So does that mean that WLPG is not clearing the rotation tag when it should?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 07:56:39 am »

So does that mean that WLPG is not clearing the rotation tag when it should?

Yes.

You might consider using Media Center to rotate.  It does lossless JPEG rotation, and gets the tagging right.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

gappie

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 09:11:04 am »

as matt says, mc does a very nice job on rotation.
when you want keep using the other program for that, or for the files you already imported you can easily just clean the rotation tags. try one if it does the trick. if that does what you want you could make a smartlist giving you all the files that have a value in the rotation tag using the rule:
Code: [Select]
[Media Type]=[Image] -[Rotation]=0 when you add the rotation column to the smartlist it is a breeze to clean them.

gab
Pages: [1]   Go Up