INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: About Application Volume and its settings  (Read 3178 times)

Dio H

• Recent member
About Application Volume and its settings
« on: August 05, 2010, 07:29:06 am »

Hi. First time posting. Many Responses are welcome.

I have been using MC14 mainly through WASAPI and found out that there was Surely a difference
among setting Application Volume (not internal or system volume) maximum, minimum, and Mute.
Actually, I tried setting Application Volume mute because when it was set maximum I felt a little bit of  noisy echo added to the sound.
(First I thought this might be due to the limitation of my audio system.)  Then, when Application Volume was set mute, there was no more noisy echo added and the sound felt more like 'core' sound while it sounded a little bit held down and less animated.

This difference according to the setting was quite obvious in MC14, but today, after trying MC15.0.87, I found out that in MC15 the sound difference
between setting Application Volume maximum and Mute became much less obvious though there was still a little.

Actually, I tried setting Application Volume minimum instead of setting it mute and the result was just between Maximum and Mute. (So naturally ;))

But I suspect that setting Application Volume mute or minimum might undermine bit-perfect output.

So I would like to ask you guys what is optimal settings as to Applicaiton Volume for sound of higher fidelity without losing bit-perfection.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: About Application Volume and its settings
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 07:55:39 am »

If you want the highest audio quality, you should talk to the soundcard in a hardware-direct mode.  If your soundcard has a native ASIO driver (not ASIO4All), ASIO is best.  Otherwise, use WASAPI exclusive on Vista or newer.

When talking to a soundcard in a hardware-direct mode, the 'Application' volume (available in Vista and newer) should be disabled.  This is because Windows is not in the audio chain, and can not make changes on a per application basis.  This is good.

The behavior of the 'System' volume will vary based on hardware.  With many cards, it will control the hardware preamplifier level.  There are also many good cards that have no hardware volume control.

If your soundcard supports a 'System' volume, I would use it.  If not, use 'Internal' volume.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Dio H

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 08:24:03 am »

Thanks for your reponse.

I understood your words like this.
Setting Application Volume Mute is the best option in most cases for sound of higher fidelity
and setting Application Volume mute doesn't harm bit-perfect playback.

Is this right?

Dio H

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 08:27:10 pm »

Last time I asked the question, I missed saying that I have been using WASAPI mainly on DEFAULT (device).
Actually, When I began to use MC14, I tried three ways as to MC14.
First, setting my target DAC as Default device of Windows 7 and setting MC's WASAPI mode on Default.
Second, setting my target DAC as Default device of Windows 7 and setting MC's WASAPI mode on the target DAC itself.
Third, Setting my NON-target DAC (i.e. on-board soundcard etc. ) as Default device of Windows 7 and setting MC's WASAPI mode on my target DAC.
And I chose to use the first way because to my ears it sounded best at that time.
However, now I think that the Applicaton Volume issue I addressed is most conspicuous in the first way and am trying setting Application Volume maximum or mute in the second and third ways.
Somebody might say, "Just use ASIO. Why WASAPI?"
Yes, you have a point but I prefer WASAPI at this point and want to know what is the best settings for WASAPI mode of MC
as to Win7's sound device setting, MC's WASAPI device setting, and Application Volume setting.
Or I would have to keep believing my own ears.
I hope this is a meaningful question worth sharing.

Dio H

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 07:02:47 am »

I am now listening with Application Volume maximum after upgrading my system a little bit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up