INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: File and folder renaming (Orphaning in the library)  (Read 4982 times)

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
File and folder renaming (Orphaning in the library)
« on: August 08, 2010, 09:26:52 am »

So I have my auto import configured:

Update for external changes (On)
Fix broken links (Yes protect network files)

I have the following folder structure.

Arist\Album\Tracks

If I rename an album or artist folder and retag appropriately, I get orphaned information in Media Center.  Same goes if I completely move a folder from say  "Neil Young" to "Neil Young & Crazy Horse" and update the tags appropriately.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: File and folder renaming (Orphaning in the library)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 09:52:32 am »

Could you do the renaming from inside Media Center?  The 'Rename, Move, & Copy Files...' tool is pretty flexible.

This way, you will never have to worry about orphans.

If you need to do external changes, you might try running an auto-import manually after the move (Tools > Import > Run auto-import now) to force a scan.  Otherwise, it could take a little while for external changes to be detected.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 10:21:05 am »

Could you do the renaming from inside Media Center?  The 'Rename, Move, & Copy Files...' tool is pretty flexible.

This way, you will never have to worry about orphans.

If you need to do external changes, you might try running an auto-import manually after the move (Tools > Import > Run auto-import now) to force a scan.  Otherwise, it could take a little while for external changes to be detected.

I might not have waited long enough.  I'll wait a little longer next time.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 10:29:25 am »

I might not have waited long enough.  I'll wait a little longer next time.

It's not a simple answer to how long between an external change and when it will show up because many factors come into play.

For example, if a drive is continually changing, we don't want to keep synchronizing with it each time it changes.  So we try to wait for changes to stop.  If there are continual changes, eventually we'll run a background auto-import anyway.

But then it takes a little while for the auto-import to occur, based on the performance of the machine and drives.

If you're in a time critical situation, you can always just start an auto-import manually.  You could even add the toolbar button 'Run Auto-Import Now' to do it with a single click.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

spiggytopes

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 12:04:21 am »

Hi,

Sorry to dig this one up - wish I'd read it first!

I just did a massive clean up and renaming exercise on my music files, generally removing the track number form the file name.

Now, MC 18 has successfully found the renamed files but not yet deleted the orphans.

Do I just wait for MC to discover and delete the orphans in the library? How long would that take?

Cheers.

spiggytopes

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 12:20:47 am »

OK - 15 minutes!

Done.

Arindelle

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 03:38:55 am »

I found this delay problematic. I prefer not allowing auto import in the background, but this is a personal choice.

I found that if you go to devices and drives and move/rename file folders from within jrmc the updated path is immediate (in otherwords not using windows explorer). You must however use the Edit options from the top menu bar.
Another way is to right click on a selection > locate > internal and you go right to the directory.

Much faster than the library command if you are making changes to a lot of folders in my opinion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up