INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Your still the best :)  (Read 1453 times)

nila

Your still the best :)
« on: June 20, 2002, 05:32:49 pm »

Wahoo.
Just tried the latest build of Winamp 3 that's now got all kinds of media jukebox features in it and to be honest you kick their ass.
It just doesn't have the clarity or clearness and ease or browsing that MJ has.
One of it's biggest flaws is that none of the songs are grouped like when u do Artist/Album which means all the lists are for every single song and so are HUGE.
Doesn't make browsing easy at all.
MJ is ten times clearer and easier to just browse artists with.

One feature I did notice it had though which I really liked that is a feature I think you guys should steal and add to MJ is that with Winamp3 if you do searches for say a name and it is an artist's name, then it also has two boxes for artists and albums that it then fills with summaries of the search results.

This is a feature I'd LOVE to see in MJ.
Although MJ organises the songs great, the searches still just retain a big list of all the songs.
I'd love to see say something whereby the Media Library with all it's View Schemes just started maybe getting narrowed down to fields that matched the results.
Maybe allow me to do   Search Results/Artist/Album etc
and then just have that filled with data that matched the search criteria.

Or possible just have it like they have it in winamp 3 with two extra boxes that can show whatever info is wanted.

Just a thought I had after deciding that you guys still make the best software around Next Page

What's it like to be the best?? Next Page

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:Your still the best :)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2002, 05:57:24 pm »

It's frightening.  But thanks.  We'll take a look.

Be sure and raise a stink over there on their boards so they come over here and make me reach for the delete key.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

nila

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2002, 06:49:33 pm »

Sure Next Page
But what's a delete key?
(I know I can be dumb sometimes but I'm sure once you say I'll suddenly realise just how dumb a qu that is)

Scronch

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2002, 09:05:21 pm »

Allow me to demonstrate:

There once was a man from Nantucket
Who's...

Now, JimH will show you what a delete key is.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2002, 07:33:41 am »

Thanks Nila.

And you can already build any Media Library view scheme around any search.  It's not super easy to change the search though, since it requires a right-click -> edit view scheme.

However, you could make it easier if you do this:

Create a smartlist named "Library Search"  Then create any new view scheme you want and add the search criteria playlist="Library Search"

After that, you'll be able to browse whatever you type into that smartlist with your view scheme.

Is that close enough to a solution?

Thanks again.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Scronch

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2002, 08:25:00 am »

There appears to be a hardware bug at JRiver.  JimH's delete key seems to have stopped working.  Matt or Nikolay, perhaps you could look into this.

Scronch

nila

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2002, 09:29:46 am »

Hmm, Cant quite follow what your trying to say.

I created a Smart List called 'Searches'.
I already have a bunch of View scheme's I like (ie: Artist/album)
now how're you saying I make the Artist/Album only show the info returned from the smart list?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2002, 09:35:30 am »

>> Hmm, Cant quite follow what your trying to say.
I Do, But We Will Not Go There, Some Things Are:

Listening to: 'The Sweetest Taboo' from 'Promise' by 'Sade' on Media Jukebox
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2002, 09:47:40 am »

now how're you saying I make the Artist/Album only show the info returned from the smart list?

Select your view scheme -> right-click -> Edit View Scheme -> change Search criteria to playlist=Searches -> Click "OK" to save

Then, that view scheme will only show files that match your search criteria, which is that the playlist should be "Searches"

Hope that helps...

-Matt

nila

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2002, 01:47:01 pm »

Perfect,
U guys got some really powerful features in there.
U should waste a couple of days and make a tutorial video or something Next Page
One thing I think would help a lot with features as great as these is if you made it less technical and more integrated.
Like instead of having it how it is now whereby I have to use a Smart List to search to then display it in the selected View Scheme,
somehow modify the search box itself so that it maybe has a check box or something that can be clicked to then make the View Scheme display all the results in all of it's View's or something like that. That way I wouldn't have to make two sets of View Scheme's - I could use the same ones just to display different sets of data.
Sometimes the full library, sometimes results of a search.

I'm not sure if maybe it can already do this, it seems to have a lot of powerful features that aren't immediately obvious, but maybe to narrow down the tree so it only shows artists with more than X songs or artist/albums where there are more than X songs per artist/album.

It'd work a little like an Album View type thing, but would mainly enable me to view my collection without all the extra artist entries from artists who I have like one song from cause they're in some compilation album I have. Maybe you've already got something like this?
Just an idea Next Page

Lovely powerful features though. Wonder what else you've got hidden in there that I'll discover over the years.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2002, 01:58:20 pm »

Play around with the Album Artist field.  (set it to "Compilation" or something for mix tracks)  It can clean your Media Library up a lot.

About making features more "to the front", it's tough.  We try to be both very powerful and easy to use.  Sometimes the only way to do that is to nest some of the functionality.  However, please keep the ideas coming, because things could always be better...

Thanks Nila.

-Matt
Pages: [1]   Go Up