INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MJ7 is fast becoming useless  (Read 1182 times)

irritated

MJ7 is fast becoming useless
« on: June 20, 2002, 05:20:11 pm »

sorry to post new topic, but i didn't get a response that fixed things from the last.

i'm using mj7 with an mj6 license. after a new install, i can't get mj7 to install ANY encoders. as well, it won't play anything. all it says is "only input, visualization and dsp plug-ins can be added"

when i click on a file (mp3, wma, ape, whatever), it goes to the web and downloads the plug-in (even though the dll is in the plug-in directory) and then it gives me the above message.

i have tried a complete uninstall and reinstall. i've tried with and without the restoring the license. what's next a priest?!

please don't suggest getting mj8. i can do that, but it will only last for 30 days. mj7 is still current and i like it just fine. please help.

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:MJ7 is fast becoming useless
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2002, 05:24:25 pm »

I'm really sorry, but we are moving on from MJ 7.x.  I hope you can understand that it is tough to both move forward quickly and maintain support for old products.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

irritated

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2002, 05:35:30 pm »

jim,

this just isn't acceptable. 7.2 is only one generation back and full docs are still on the website. as well, i now have a problem in that a program i have paid for and NOWHERE on the website is listed as obsolete and no longer supported, is not working AT ALL.

if fixing this is beyond your authority or knowledge, please tell me who to contact so that i may get my software working.

mdshullaw

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2002, 04:33:00 pm »

Only one generation back, and there is no support? I want to register my version of MJ, but things are getting a little scary here.

sekim

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2002, 05:38:59 pm »

>>>> I'm really sorry, but we are moving on from MJ 7.x. I hope you can understand that it is tough to both move forward quickly and maintain support for old products. <<<<

Hey, even Microsoft supports their old stuff. No one out there has an answer to this problem? Granted that MJ 8 is taking up prime time, but an occasional hand for older releases should still be available shouldn't it?

JimH

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2002, 06:21:15 pm »

We do support MJ 7.2.  We just don't provide any new tools for it.
Jim Hillegass

irritated

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2002, 01:24:34 pm »

jimh -

this isn't about tools. this is about getting mj7.2 working. it will do nothing at this point. it won't even play back. no matter what type of file you click on, it goes to the internet to download an encoder and gives the same old message.

for whatever reason, you do not wish to deal with this. i have software that is supported and is current, but i cannot get it running through this medium. please give me a phone number to call so i can get mj7.2 running again.

Scronch

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2002, 11:33:40 pm »

1-800-UPGRADE

Chris H.

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2002, 06:55:45 am »

Why will MJ8|PLS| only last 30 days ?  Why can't you back up your purchase license, install the newest Music Jukebox 8, then click on restore license ?

JimH

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2002, 07:00:41 am »

Chris,
I don't understand your question.  MJ8, if licensed, will last until you remove it or your machine fails.  When that happens your license can be restored from our server.  More info is in the FAQ.

Jim
Jim Hillegass

Yaobing

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2002, 07:48:24 am »

Jim,

Chris was referring to the original poster's remark ("please don't suggest getting mj8. i can do that, but it will only last for 30 days."). The original poster has a version 6 license, and he was not planning to buy version 8 license. That is why it would only last 30 days.

Chris H.

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2002, 11:36:18 pm »

Indeed, Yaobing.  Why Jim H., can't 'irritated' use his version 6 license to run version 8 indefinately?  And if not, how long do version 7.2 purchasers have till they too, are shut out of MJ8 and future versions?

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
  • Subvert the Dominant Paradigm
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2002, 01:22:13 am »

This is not too tricky fellas.
MJ8 will work as a basic player forever for free.  There is however a feature set (most of the really funky stuff) will cease functioning after 30 days
Historically, you bought V6, you got unlimited use of V6. AND, you also got unlimited use of V7.
IE: one total upgrade, free.  Buy one, get the next one free.
Good deal.

Irritated - if you uninstall V7 completely, clean the registry, reboot and reinstall V7, it will work ad infinatum.
Yes, yes, I know, you shouldn't have to clean the registry, I hear you.  Just do it.
Why?  Because it will solve your problem I guarantee it - well not quite.  But if it doesn't then something must be changed in your configuration, some driver corrupted, some MS thing cocked up, problem your end - that much is certain.

Sorry, that this is not what you want to hear, and sorry also to sound unsympathetic, but really your could have saved yourself 50 bucks worth of grief and anguish, and got yourself a barrow full of excellent new features if you had just done the 25 buck upgrade.

Yes, yes, I know, you shouldn't have to upgrade, I hear you. And you don't have to - unless you want to do yourself a favour.

PS: I am in no way associated with JRiver.

peleton

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2002, 01:51:01 am »

Well if getting it working means installing an input plugin, then with MJ7.2 you can still use WinAmp plugins.

So grab winamp, copy the in_mp3.dll, in_ape.dll, in_ogg.dll etc., from the "plugin" folder of winamp.
Then paste them into the MJ "plugin" folder.
Then in MJ, goto "Settings" / "Plugin Manager" and select "Add-Plugin".  Then simply point the dialogue to the appropriate plugins you need.

Done.

I hope this solves your problems

peleton.
Pages: [1]   Go Up