INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ordering of playlists imported from iTunes  (Read 977 times)

sluizer

• World Citizen
Ordering of playlists imported from iTunes
« on: August 17, 2010, 01:13:58 pm »

Hi,

I'm hoping to switch from iTunes 8.2.0.23 to Media Center. I've figured out how to import playlists from iTunes, but I can't seem to figure out how to ask MC to maintain the order of the playlists from iTunes.  This is important to me, because I am a DJ and I've used playlists to keep track of the sets that I do.  Is this possible?  If so, how do I achieve it.

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Ordering of playlists imported from iTunes
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 01:44:51 pm »

Welcome to Interact.

Did you try making Playlist Groups?  You can add playlists to a group.

sluizer

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 01:48:59 pm »

No, I haven't tried making playlist groups. I did some searching around the wiki and these forums to see if I could find any information, but wasn't able to find any. I'll look into playlist groups and see if they give me what I want. Thanks.

sluizer

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 01:54:25 pm »

OK, I've looked at playlist groups and they don't seem to be what I want. They seem comparable to having playlists inside a playlist in iTunes.

Perhaps the way I asked the question wasn't clear. I want to maintain the order of the items in the playlist when I import it from iTunes. It's important to me that I know not only what songs I played but the order in which I played them. So if I have 5 songs -- A, B, C, D, E -- in that order in an iTunes playlist, after I've imported the playlist into MC, I want those songs to show up in the same order in the MC playlist. Is that possible?

Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 02:57:11 pm »

Playlist order should be preserved on import.

Are you sure the playlist on disk is in the order you want?

Also, make sure you're sorting the playlist in Media Center by the 'Seq' (sequence) column.  It's on the far left of a playlist view, and by default, a playlist will be sorted by this column.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

sluizer

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 03:08:05 pm »

Hi,

Ah, thanks. That fixed the problem.  For some reason, when I imported the playlist, it was being sorted on other columns.

BTW, I've looked around and haven't found any documentation that helps to guide iTunes users in using MC. Is there any such documentation? I ask because a lot of my questions are of the form: this is how I do something in iTunes, how do I accomplish the same thing in MC? I imagine that there are ways to do what I want, but I'm having trouble finding them on the wiki. I can see that MC is much nicer than iTunes in many ways, but there are things that I do in iTunes that really work for me.

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up