INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Expression/Search  (Read 1003 times)

yooz

• Junior Woodchuck
  • **sorry 'bout my baaaad english knowledge**
Expression/Search
« on: August 20, 2010, 12:27:09 pm »

Dear Expression Professionals...

...how to determine for example : all album that have more than 30 tracks
...or is there a possibility to show and sort albums with the complete count of tracks ?

or something like that with MC15 : http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=40420.msg275540#msg275540

thx

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Expression/Search
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 03:45:12 pm »

This can be done using a Categories view...

1. Create or select an existing Categories view that includes Album.
2. Set the List Style for Album to "Details" (using the Tab drop-down menu).
3. Set the Columns to include "Track #."
4. Set the Sort By to "Track # (z-a)."

Vincent Kars

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 04:21:20 pm »

Rick, an elegant solution

A little variation on your theme

Use thumbnail view
Use sort by ‘Number of files’

In Thumbnail Text do something like
 [Name]
 [Track #]
To display the total number of tracks

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 08:37:47 pm »

And it seems the question was too trivial for our "Expression Professionals," so I'll take a stab at that too...

Generally, there's no way to get the same kind of summary statistics in a Panes View as is possible in a Categories View. But in this case, we don't need an average or a total—only the largest track numbers. That can be done with a smartlist that simply sorts the library in descending order of Track # (~sort=[Track #]-d) and then removes duplicates of Album (~nodup=[Album]).

I've added that to the "Filters" pane of my main Panes View. That's a collection of Search lists for such things as single/multiple artist, listened to recently/not, duplicates, etc. I'm not sure why I need it, but now I can select "Tracks/Album" to show a list of albums by number of tracks for any genre/style of music. My view is normally grouped by album, but that's easily changed by clicking on the Track # header and selecting "Sort all files by Track # (removes grouping temporarily)." More importantly, the original grouping and sorting are automatically restored when done.

Now I leave it to our expression wizards provide a smartlist that goes beyond just reporting the largest track number. I'd like to be able to make any selection in my panes (e.g., "5-star blues-rock released in the 1970's") and see a list of albums with the number of tracks they have matching those criteria. My solution is to flag the selection (i.e., set [Flag]=1), then switch to a Category view (where a Rule for file display is [Flag]=1) to see the summary statistics. It works, but I crave more elegance. 8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up