INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Complete Albums question  (Read 1647 times)

tkrueger

Complete Albums question
« on: August 24, 2010, 12:48:51 pm »

When I filter using Complete Album = TRUE, in my results, I get some albums with only 1 track, that being track#1, which really is an incomplete album. It seems that the logic for Complete Album isn't working correctly.

Is there a way to filter so I get only albums with only 1 track?

I've searched the forums and tried a lot of things but, I haven't gotten anywhere with them!

TIA

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Complete Albums question
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 01:23:27 pm »

An album can have only one track.

Here is my old reply (from the closed beta board):
I ripped (recorded) some one-sided 12" vinyl records (DJ style remix singles). These records happen to contain only one track, but I can't make them appear inside my "complete albums" view schemes. It seems that MC needs at least two tracks to detect an album as complete. In my opinion these albums are complete because the only album track is in a separate folder and has correct track numbering (i.e. "1").

I searched my library and found that I also have at least two complete full-length CD albums that are doomed to be incomplete: Mike Oldfield's Amarok and Juno Reactor's Luciana. Both albums contain only one about an hour-length track.

MC should detect an album as complete if the only track is in a separate folder and has the track number 1.

I have not tested how MC handles a situation in which a multi-disc album has two or more one-track discs that are ripped into the same folder (each file having the track number 1 and the correct disc number), but also albums like this should be detected as complete.

Alternatively you could allow manual editing of the Complete Album field value. (An edit in this field would need to also automatically change the (complete)/(incomplete) part in the Album Type field.)

Since then the logic has been improved (even though you may disagree :) ).

Further discussions:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=40071
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=45007

To JRiver:

The best and perhaps the only way to properly fix the problem would be to introduce the "total number of tracks" and "total number of discs" fields. Naturally they would need to be included in the complete album logic. For instance, an album with the tracks 1, 2 and 3 would be incomplete if the total number of tracks is not 3... EDIT: ...or empty. I think empty would be needed to keep the logic backwards compatible. Perhaps the value 0 could be allowed so that any single track could be easily tagged with the "incomplete album" tag

It would then be up to the users to have their files correctly tagged.

EDIT 2

From another reply:
The "total number" values should be displayed as two separate library fields. Depending on the file format they would be written either in the x/y format or as separate tag frames in the files.   

The complete album logic could be expanded to take the total numbers into account: an empty field would be ignored, but if the fields have a value MC would consider an album complete only if all tracks or discs are present.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up