INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Movie Info Lookup  (Read 1115 times)

fwhoch

• Recent member
Movie Info Lookup
« on: August 28, 2010, 09:06:06 am »

The lookup movie info in Wikipedia is a great feature, one I really use and saves me time. 

Could it be possible for you to include different sources like Amazon and IMDB.  Wikipedia sometimes has a screen capture instead of a poster or cover, like Casablanca or lacks any picture like Ace Ventura When Nature Calls. Also in cases like Animal Farm there is no reference to the movie, but instead to the novel by George Orwell or in the case documentaries no information is available.

In most cases Wikipedia has more information on mainstream movies, imdb has a larger movie, documentaries and series database.  But making it possible to use several sources could be beneficial.

I'm always looking for media manager applications and yours is by far the one I use the most since MC11.  For example I use mediamonkey to tag and organize music (5 amazon.com databases) which is helpful because some info is not available in all servers.  Boxee uses IMDB and a nice feature is it recognizes series down to the individual episode, not just the season as with Wikipedia.

I hope you can develop this feature more, id be willing to help extensively with you to develop it and provide feedback.

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Movie Info Lookup
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 03:52:52 pm »

There are already a number of plugins for getting movie meta data from various sources. This topic might be helpful as an introduction. For more, search Third Party Plug-ins, Programs, and Skins for "movie."

davros

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 07:40:52 am »

i must say that this is a rather obvious hole in mcs capability set. i for one would like to see some more time set asside to address the tagging of media files in mc...at least give us the option of sources like imdb as wikipedia is very limited and for me had a poor experience.

can this pls. receive some development focus?

yes, pvdimport is ok, but a pain to setup and no where near as user friendly as mc. i understand you do not want to recreate a whole of pvd replacement in mc, however there is an opportunity to take a small step up in functionality and offer a big improvement over the current offering without going the whole hog of pvd functionality.

food for thought.

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 06:40:29 pm »

yes, pvdimport is ok, but a pain to setup and no where near as user friendly as mc...

Maybe this wasn't directed at me, but I suggested just such a possibility here:

JRiver's efforts would be better spent developing an easy-to-use scripting engine...
Pages: [1]   Go Up