INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album Count Errors  (Read 1499 times)

jsjanx

• Recent member
Album Count Errors
« on: August 29, 2010, 02:58:47 am »

To whom it may concern:

There is a bug in the album count calculations within the Media Center (I'm currently updated to version 15.0.95)...I can't determine exactly when this occurs as I've recategorized multiple album genres, both with and without library tools and also externally (deleting albums internally, renaming folders externally and then reimporting the files back into Media Center).  What is clear is that the album counts in various genres does not match the exact number of albums listed under the file listing (both in details and album thumbnails).  It's easy to determine that in the "album thumbnail view" because the albums are listed at 10 per row.
I currently have imported almost 1200 CDs and have verified the counts in genres that are incorrect!

I'm sure there are more important issues to address, but please prioritize as appropriate--it is annoying when trying to confirm large counts by category and having to debug when they incorrectly don't add up.

Thanks.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Album Count Errors
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 11:02:08 am »

This seems unlikely.

It would be useful to start by trying to narrow your set to find the genre that you perceive is missing albums.  You can also use categories in panes to group albums by, say letters, and manually select each in a pane to discover how the totals are being created.

Note: the total count at the top of each category group will include even the "unassigned" or other generic labels.

Maybe you can show some screenshots to demonstrate what you are seeing.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

jsjanx

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 02:40:18 pm »

I went back and reverified manually...I have 20 genres that I use (there are no albums listed in anything other than these 20)...The counts in 17 genres are exactly correct...The counts in the other 3 are, in all cases, within Media Center, less than the actual number of albums listed in the "Pane" or "Album" view...When I say the counts are different, what I mean is that the counts listed as "All Albums (xxx) does not match the actual number of albums listed in pane or album view.

The discrepancies for me are:
   1) Rock--lists "All Albums (168)", but actually has 171 albums shown in pane and album view
   2) Country--lists "All Albums (96)", but actually has 98 albums shown in pane and album view
   3) Jazz Class--lists "All Albums (64)", but actually has 65 albums shown in pane and album view
   4) Total Albums for all genres--lists "All Albums (1161)" and this is odd, all albums should be 1176 (the difference between the 3 categories listed above (6) is less than the difference in the total count (15))--I have rechecked two times the differences by category and they are exactly correct for all 20 genres, but am not going to count 1176 manually....

I have debugged this data by cross-referencing against a catalogued spreadsheet, album by album, manually where there is any discrepancy by genre and manually counted the number of albums within Media Center multiple times to verify within the genres with discrepancies...

I'm fairly confident that these discrepancies are real and am not trying to be difficult...

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 04:19:34 pm »

The total counts are for Categories, not Albums.  Consider "Greatest Hits" may be the title for 5 albums.  Thus, the total count you see at the top of the pane column will be 4 less than your album count.  Add an expression field category that combines Album and Album Artist (auto) and look at those counts.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

jsjanx

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 06:18:34 pm »

Bingo!!!  That's it...it's a count of unique album names, not the number of albums...Thank you...

rick.ca

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 09:29:04 pm »

Unable to tolerate false statistics, I had to clean up my collection... :o

I used this search to list duplicate album names:
[Album Type]=[Single artist /(complete/)] ~limit=-1,1,[artist],[album] ~dup=[Album] ~a ~sort=[Album],[Artist]

jsjanx

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 10:44:55 pm »

Thank you...it took 2 seconds with the search and all the duplicates popped up...
Pages: [1]   Go Up