INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendations on 3rd DVI port  (Read 1099 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Recommendations on 3rd DVI port
« on: August 30, 2010, 09:25:03 pm »

I have been using two monitors on my current Windows system for a few years now and it is starting to feel a big sluggish.  While I don't want to do a full system update like I should I do need to add a third DVI port somehow.  I added a 1080p 55" LCD to the mix and would like to attach this in addition to my previous two monitors.  I actually use a dual monitor KVM with this and a Mac Pro and am thrilled with this setup because it will now mean I can be using MC on this third display while I'm using my Mac--granted unable to control with keyboard/mouse but still able to see MC!  Sorta like MC on Mac lol.

So my current monitors are running on an ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT (few years old).  Anytime I have tried multiple monitors on separate cards I seem to have ran into problems with sluggish/slow video or major issues when dragging playing video across displays.  Can anyone offer any general tips to help me understand what issues I may have seen?  Otherwise I guess I just need to pick and order a graphics card.  At the moment, I have given up my 2nd small display until I get the new card.

Thanks!

MrHaugen

Re: Recommendations on 3rd DVI port
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 07:15:39 am »

I would suggest a ATI card with more than two outputs (Eyefinity). You get single cards now with 6 or more display ports. You can also use one display port and two HDMI/DVI connections for 3 monitors/TV's. This is possible on most standard cards.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: Recommendations on 3rd DVI port
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 06:46:29 pm »

I actually decided to just get another computer.  It works better because it's dedicated so I can, at any time, hit power on TV and MC is ready.  I realized this is a requirement to be able to pull up any content any time whenever.  I am going to add Synergy so I can control it with my mouse/keyboard so I can open non-MC applications if I want but MC is first and foremost.

A new issue arose though.  I've had this problem before but now it is not immediately solvable.  I have the Keyspan infrared remotes (small, white) and they only have a 32-bit driver.  I emailed asking them to create 64-bit drivers but no response yet.  Are there any work arounds?  It's just a remote of course.  I am not finding any similar remotes.  Very simple, clean, elegant with infinitely configurable setup / software is what I like.  I had these remotes all set up and saved the configuration so setup was a snap-as long as I can use the driver!
Pages: [1]   Go Up