INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tag function in Image Caption  (Read 907 times)

tonse

• Recent member
Tag function in Image Caption
« on: September 05, 2010, 03:20:21 pm »

I can't get the Tag function to work in the Image Caption that shows during Slideshow What am i doing wrong?
I use:

[Places] Tag(exif: Date)

Only Places is shown. I tried al kinds of capitalisations. Still doesn't work
By the way> Is it possible two retrieve de IPTC country using Tag(IPTC: Country)?

Thanks
Ton

tonse

• Recent member
Re: Tag function in Image Caption
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 10:16:39 am »

does somebody have an idea/solution/answer

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Tag function in Image Caption
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 10:59:14 am »

First of all, I must advise against this workflow idea.

When using the Tag() function, you are asking MC to query the physical file, every single time that file appears on screen, and this will slow down your MC experience, making a simple action such as scrolling the list be slow, and a bit on the 'jerky' side.

It would be a better idea to use the tag function once to import the exif date data into your library, and then use that information directly from the database. Everything would be silky smooth then.

I'm also wondering why the exif date is not already in the default [date] field used by MC, because, if it's there, MC would read it and import when importing the file?
The tag function works for me, but not for you... Are you absolutely certain that the files actually contain an exif Date tag? You can check this by selecting a single file, open the tag window, and then click on the very top line, where it gives "jpg - dimensions - filesize" information. The information you see in the action window after doing that is a sample of the raw tag data contained inside the file. MC reads four different tag blocks, and if present, they are listed in this order:
EXIF
XMP
IPTC
MJMD

If you verify that you do have the EXIF data inside the file, we'll go back to trouble-shooting why your MC is not retrieving that data. The first step in that direction would be to remove all other thumb text, leaving only the tag() function and see if it works then.

If after reading all that, you still want to use tag() in the thumb text....
I think there's a bug in the tag function at the moment that sees it returning only the "raw" date data, this can be fixed by wrapping tag in a formatdate function like so:

formatdate(tag(exif: Date),yyyy//MM//dd)

Which gives me:

As for the IPTC: Country question, I'm not sure. I've tried, in vain, to get other exif tags out my files, "Lens" for example, but they never work. The only one that ever works for me is Date.
I'm sure that this is to do with the fact that in order for Tag() to work, the referenced tag must be spelled exactly as it appears in the tag block. This means that tag(exif: Date) will work, but tag(exif: date) will not work.
When viewing the exif info using different programs, they often list the data using slightly differing labels, suggesting to me that the lens info is probably not stored under "Lens" and I gave up trying to find out what it might be called inside the tag block!!

-marko.
Pages: [1]   Go Up