INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD stutter and lip sync issues  (Read 1540 times)

bpchia

• Recent member
DVD stutter and lip sync issues
« on: September 06, 2010, 03:02:39 am »

Hi,

I have an i5 CPU and ATI Radeon HD 5670 with Windows 7 Professional 32bit.

DVD playback through Windows Media Center is perfect.

In MC15 though, I get stutter at start of DVD and if go to a scene from DVD menu. The audio then goes out of sync.

I have setup ifo/vob file type filters as ffdshow audio decoder, Microsoft DTV-DVD decoder, and EVR.

Can anyone guide me through troubleshooting? Many thanks,

Ben

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: DVD stutter and lip sync issues
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 09:23:04 am »

Have you tried using the Microsoft audio decoder?
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 09:58:57 am »

The Microsoft audio decoder might not work:

'Microsoft DTV-DVD Audio Decoder' does not decode AC3 audio in any non-Microsoft applications.  It only makes a direct passthrough (SPDIF).  You need to choose a different audio decoder (AC3Filter, or FFDShow audio decoder for example), or send audio output to an external receiver that can decoder AC3.

I'd recommend trying the FFDShow Video decoder instead of the Microsoft DTV-DVD decoder:
1. Set MC to use it in Video > DVD options
2. Set FFDShow to use the libavcodec for MPEG2 and tick the DVD option (it has a separate tickbox for DVD decoding).

See the attached screenshots.

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 10:13:25 am »

bpchia, you didn't mention your FFDShow version, but if it is old you could update it.

I installed the latest FFDShow Tryouts development build a few days ago. So far it has worked fine on XP and 32-bit Windows 7.

Here is the link to the 32-bit version:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow-tryout/files/SVN%20builds%20by%20clsid/generic%20builds/ffdshow_rev3556_20100902_clsid.exe/download
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 10:27:25 am »

Oddly enough I see this occasionally, although it's not restricted to DVDs.
I've tried various builds of CCCP, FFDShow, FFDShow tryouts and others, and have never got to the bottom of it :(
Only the HTPC ever does it.

First question is whether you are using HDMI? I'm wondering if there is a link to the ATI HDMI audio driver somewhere?

Other than that, a reboot or two usually sorts things (It's worse from cold), but that's the best I can really do for you.

-Leezer-

bpchia

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 12:43:58 am »

Hi guys,

Thanks for your enthusiastic responses.

Unfortunately none of them worked.

I have latest FFDSHOW (not tryouts, not sure what they are).

Microsoft Audio Decoder did not work, neither did FFDSHOW Video Decoder with settings as recommended.

It's puzzling because DVDs play PERFECTLY in Windows Media Center.

I've got a feeling it may have something to do with the audio settings.  I have my HTPC connected to a DAC via optical toslink.  The DAC is only a stereo DAC, a doesn't decode AC3, so I need to send it PCM 2 channel.

The DVDs wouldn't play in MC15 unless I selected LPCM in FFDSHOW audio settings.  I'm not sure if I should select analogue audio or digital 2 channel in the video audio settings, because I believe that analogue audio should be used even if using a digital connection if you want uncompressed (ie PCM).  Anyway, selecting digital 2 channel doesn't fix the problem.

Still think there may be a clash somewhere in the audio settings...

Ben
Pages: [1]   Go Up