INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sharing settings between two users  (Read 1683 times)

rosie

• Recent member
Sharing settings between two users
« on: September 10, 2010, 02:37:22 am »

Is it possible to share ALL settings between two users on the same machine? The library is no problem but what about ALL other settings in Options, Presets, Play Lists etc.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Sharing settings between two users
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 01:34:00 pm »

Most settings not stored in the Library are stored in the Registry here:
HKCU\Software\JRiver\Media Center 15\

You can export this registry key to a REG file using RegEdit and then import it on the other login to "copy/paste" the settings manually between logins, or even between machines.  USE CAUTION when moving settings between machines, as some things may break.  If I'm going to another computer, I usually only export the stuff I need to copy around, like Toolbar settings and the like, and then manually reset the rest.  Also, there is another set of registry keys at HKLM\Software\JRiver.  Don't mess with these.  They are machine specific, and don't hold any useful settings (and copying them about will probably break your MC install).

I once wrote a script set that would automatically export these settings on logout and then import them on login.  I don't maintain it anymore because I no longer have a reason to do this (I now have either shared logins or user-specific machines on all of my home machines).

However, I did post them way back when.  You might need to modify them a tiny bit to get them to work again (especially if you need to do it on Vista/Win7), but it shouldn't be too difficult if you've ever done any kind of scripting in Windows before.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

rosie

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 02:35:20 pm »

Thanks for your input but that's pretty technical for an average IT user like myself. I was hoping for an integrated "backup my settings" functionality. I might ry it though. Ok, so the only thing that can be shared out of the box is the library.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 02:51:47 pm »

I believe the Library Backup feature actually does have an integrated settings backup feature now (that's pretty new), but I've never personally used it because I'm an experienced registry hacker.

Perhaps someone else can comment.

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 02:59:30 pm »

Perhaps someone else can comment.

restoring (only) the settings with a "restore" works prefectly
MT5FR

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 03:01:54 pm »

So there you go.  So, Rosie, to answer your question... Yes, there is a built-in way to do it manually using the Library backup and restore procedure.  This can be found under the File menu in MC.  When you restore the "library backup" onto your other user account's copy of MC, just select ONLY the "restore settings" checkbox in the dialog, and you should be good to go.

rosie

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 10:13:13 am »

Thank you very much for your help! So as I understand it I shall create my library in a shared folder and then use backup/restore to copy settings etc. between two users - that doesn't have to be on the machine.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 10:17:29 am »

Exactly.  Just a note though... If you are sharing the library over the network between two or more different computers, then only one copy of MC can connect to the database in Read/Write mode at a time (whichever copy connects first).  Other copies that connect subsequently, connect in Read-Only mode (so they can't tag files and make other changes to the library).

If you need to work around this issue, you can do so by using MC's Library Server functions instead.  That system isn't perfect, but it is improving all the time.

robydago

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 07:09:50 pm »

Or she could use a portable install installed on the same network drive where the library is stored.

In that way, settings are stored on the network and there's no need to backup\restore them

I'm working with this setup right now and it seems to work well.
(But I'm afraid that if\when I'll install 3rd party plugins I will definitely have problems with the portable install...)

[EDIT]
I didn't read that the users are on the same machine: in that case the portable install can be installed on that machine.

rosie

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 12:44:52 am »

Hi, that sounds pretty cool, I didn't know there was such an option (this program is so rich and full of options!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up