INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo as a true music player app  (Read 1630 times)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
Gizmo as a true music player app
« on: September 10, 2010, 05:18:56 am »

Just thinking out loud here...

The one killer app that would persuade me to bail on the iPhone and jump to android would be a j.River music player app. It would be everything music all in one app. It would:

1. Stream music from your home server (for when you are in wi-fi or radio signal range)

2. Play music on the device (for when you are out of range)

3. Sync music to the device (including ratings and last played data)

4. Maybe even scrobble to lastfm

I'd say that developing such an app would be worth the time investment. People would definitely pay for it. Also, in the future you could scale the app up in features to allow tagging, photo browsing etc. on android tablet devices. It could be the doorstep to multi-platform development for the j.River team.

sgomes

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Gizmo as a true music player app
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 09:19:27 am »

Pretty much all of the functionality that's required is exposed through MCWS, so the app won't really have to come from JRiver. All you need is one motivated Android developer with plenty of free time :)

Although I agree, it would be easier for JRiver, since they already have Gizmo and wouldn't need to start from scratch ;)

thurston

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 02:39:17 pm »

The only issue I see with charging for it would be that non-MC people wouldn't be interested.  Distributing it for free might influence more people to check out MC.

wig

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 04:51:29 pm »

I would love this. I would settle for #4, though. I rarely use Gizmo, the entire reason being it's lack of scrobbling support.

Just thinking out loud here...

The one killer app that would persuade me to bail on the iPhone and jump to android would be a j.River music player app. It would be everything music all in one app. It would:

1. Stream music from your home server (for when you are in wi-fi or radio signal range)

2. Play music on the device (for when you are out of range)

3. Sync music to the device (including ratings and last played data)

4. Maybe even scrobble to lastfm

I'd say that developing such an app would be worth the time investment. People would definitely pay for it. Also, in the future you could scale the app up in features to allow tagging, photo browsing etc. on android tablet devices. It could be the doorstep to multi-platform development for the j.River team.

intrance

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 07:32:57 pm »

I'd like an app like that as well, especially since no music player I've tried on my Galaxy S seems to be willing to accept the Genres I add to the ID3 tags with Media Center (for instance, I've got Pendulum songs listed as Drum & Bass genre in Media Center, most music players on my phone dump it under Electronica or Unknown...). Count me in for an app like that, paid or free.
Pages: [1]   Go Up