INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unable to use ASIO output [solved]  (Read 17535 times)

haralson

• Recent member
Unable to use ASIO output [solved]
« on: September 10, 2010, 03:17:25 pm »

Thanks again for your help in updating my MC15 software and explaining how to balance L-R channel levels. Here is my third (and, I hope, final) problem:

From reading the MC15 documentation, I understand that ASIO should provide the best quality audio for my installation. I use Windows XP, SP-3, with an M-Audio (Avid) Audiophile 192 sound card. My primary goal is to feed the highest quality audio into my stereo system, in order to play high-resolution audio files, most of which are 24/96 and a few at 24/192.

When I select ASIO under Output Mode, I can hear audio through my analogue computer speakers, but I get only silence through the digital output to the stereo system. I get both digital and analogue output in Direct Sound and Wave Out modes, and I have chosen Wave Out because I think it sounds a little better.

The Audiophile 192 seems to acknowledge ASIO, because its control panel includes a setting for "ASIO/WDM Buffer Size" and an option to "disable ASIO direct monitoring", which is deselected by default.

Can you please tell me how to make the ASIO mode work, or is it not available with my computer set-up?

Thanks!

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Unable to use ASIO output
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 04:43:23 pm »

I'm no audio expert, and I'm using Windows 7 and WASAPI. Nevertheless, if I explain a bit about my configuration, it might point you in the right direction.

I have two zones—one for my desktop (onboard sound) and another for my stereo (S/PDIF connection). This is necessary not only because they are two separate outputs, but because they are fundamentally different—and need to be configured differently. In both of them, I've set the Output mode to WASAPI. You would select ASIO. For the desktop zone, I've set the Device in Output mode settings to my computer speakers. For the stereo zone, I've set the Device to digital output (i.e., the sound card's pass-through to the S/PDIF connection). You should have the equivalent devices available in your ASIO settings. I'm assuming, of course, you do actually have a digital connection (S/PDIF or HDMI) to your stereo.

The next step is the DSP & output format settings—again, separately for each zone. These, too, are critical—in that you'll get no sound if they're not set correctly. You may need help from someone more experienced with your situation if that's where the problem lies. In the meantime, let us know what kind of stereo connection you have, your Output mode settings, and the results.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 08:32:12 am »

I'm guessing that, with ASIO, the analog and digital outputs are presented as different channels.

If that's correct, you would need to adjust the "Channel offset" in Options > Audio > Output mode settings... until you get sound on the digital output.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

haralson

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 09:27:36 am »

Gentlemen, thanks to both of you. Matt's solution sounded simpler than Rick's, so I tried it first. It worked, so I did not need to set up multiple Zones, although I will keep that information in mind for future reference.

Yes, my M-Audio sound card has a S/PDIF coaxial output, which worked for Wave Out but not for ASIO. Following Matt's suggestion, I went to the Options > Audio > Output mode settings and adjusted the "Channel offset" from 0 to 2. I also made certain that under "Volume" > "Volume device" I selected Delta AP SPDIF. It worked on the first try, so I am not inclined to experiment further. As a test source, I used WETA's Internet stream, which is only 64 kbps, 48 kHz. It sounds markedly better than ever before on both my computer speakers and on my main system (both "Zone 1"), so I am confident that my high-res files will blow me away!

Frankly, my previous efforts to use a forum have met with no success whatsoever. My experience with JRiver has been outstanding. A forum is only as valuable as the people who monitor it, and I thank you for your top-notch support!

rick.ca

Re: Unable to use ASIO output [solved]
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 01:28:41 pm »

Matt's solution sounded simpler than Rick's...

They're not separate solutions. Matt added the part I didn't know. ;)

...on both my computer speakers and on my main system (both "Zone 1")

How do you switch between computer speakers and stereo if they're both in the same zone?

haralson

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 08:29:41 am »

>> How do you switch between computer speakers and stereo if they're both in the same zone?

I don't switch. Both systems function simultaneously – stereo using digital output, computer speakers using analogue.

I have a rather unusual arrangement: I am using my computer to play audio into a stereo system that is 50 feet and three rooms away. In my office (where the computer is located) I use the computer speakers for background music, often Internet radio. I cue-up the high-res files when I want to do serious listening in my living room. Control is rather awkward now but will improve after PS Audio launches its "Bridge" feature. It will enable me to control the system remotely.

shAf

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 08:49:33 am »

..., you would need to adjust the "Channel offset" in Options > Audio > Output mode settings... until you get sound on the digital output.

Not that I'm experiencing any problems yet (... I'm investigating problems as I anticipate installing a new AVR and making connections frome- my HTPC to the AVR via HDMI) ... but I apparently do not have a ASIO device, so I have to choose from "wave out", "direct sound", or "kernal streaming".  Howver, I absolutely cannot find any help for these mode or settings at the help wiki(?)  EG, a search for "kernal streaming" turns up absolutely nothing!

I'm now using "direct sound" (mobo's Realtek HD audio as device, and 'hardware direct' for channels) togeter with S/PDIF optical out, but when I install a video card that will provide HDMI out for the AVR, what output mode and settings will be available, and which should I choose?

TIA  :)

cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 03:42:09 pm »

Are you using Vista or Windows 7?  With Vista or Win7 you'll have the choice of WASAPI.

ASIO is a workable solution for Windows XP.  But works better with pro-audio style audio interfaces that have purpose built ASIO drivers.  Consumer type audio interfaces typically don't come with ASIO drivers so you have to use an alternative ASIO driver like ASIO4ALL which is a kludge.

shAf

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 07:08:14 am »

Are you using Vista or Windows 7?  With Vista or Win7 you'll have the choice of WASAPI.

ASIO is a workable solution for Windows XP.  But works better with pro-audio style audio interfaces that have purpose built ASIO drivers.  Consumer type audio interfaces typically don't come with ASIO drivers so you have to use an alternative ASIO driver like ASIO4ALL which is a kludge.

Yes ... subsequent research would indicate there's definite difference between audio output capabilities for Win7 vs XP ... and I'm still using XP until I can afford to build another HTPC.  You don't say what the downside of ASIO4ALL is (being a "kludge"), but it may still be the one alternative that works for me ...

I play DVDs and music via my HTPC, and regarding setting up my new AVR next weekend, this what I'm thinking I'll try first:

... for music, I think I'll keep on using S/PDIF, and connect the mobo's coaxial to the Yamaha HTR6063's AV connection designated as 'CD'.

... for everything else (ie, DVDs), I'll employ the video card's HDMI and connect it to the AVR designated as DVD.

I'd like to do this for allowing different DSP processing appropriate for music vs movies.  This will probably work if I use WinDVD for playing DVDs and AVIs, and use MC15 for music (or AVIs).  However, I'd really like to use MC15 for all, but I cannot find any help at the MC wiki for configuring it properly for both audio outputs.  Has anyone else found the appropriate settings?  I'd certainly like to have a toolbox of options going in, rather than asking questions after(?)

TIA  :)
BTW ... sorry for bringing this topic out of the morgue, but it seemed appropriate in case someone else is in a similar situation
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland
Pages: [1]   Go Up