INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I,m Up To 250  (Read 2559 times)

Blue Boy

• World Citizen
I,m Up To 250
« on: September 12, 2010, 02:18:33 pm »

I have by now ripped 250 albums to wav.  scanned the covers in 400X400 resolution given every albums a genre tag, right now I have a beer and enjoy my hard work with Patti Griffin.
But I can put it in lesser words, I LOVE this way of enjoying music, and I LOVE J Rivers MC!!

After Patti Griffin there will be something old school rock'n roll..................

Blue Boy - Still on Kernel but waiting for Wasapi

sunfire7

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: I,m Up To 250
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 11:50:34 pm »

A perfectly tagged library is the dream of the MC user :). why not using lossless?  :)
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

Blue Boy

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 05:51:18 am »

Well since starting "computer" listening just a couple a months ago I did research internet for information about lossless. There is a lot of opinions soundwise so I decided to go for Wav. and
I can always convert to lossless in the future, but discspace is not a factor of cost anymore.

When it comes to tagging I "tweaked" my collection like this:

When downloading info from FREEDB I get the artist name and trackname, what is important to me
is on what recordlabel and what year a song was recorded so I add it myself, and the result is showing up is like this:

Hound Dog - Elvis Presley - Rca 1956  or Please Please Me - Beatles - Parlophone 1963

Album Name, artist name and genre is Tagged in MC 15.
For the rest of info I need like info on bandmembers history of an artist etc. I use another software
that holds info of whole my record collection. Both software is installed on my dedicated computer
for music. Right now it works okey for me, but I'm not shure what happends with my "Artist/Album/Genre" tags if I need to reinstall J River MC, anyone knows how to store this info?

221bBS

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 07:34:30 am »

For the rest of info I need like info on bandmembers history of an artist etc. I use another software
that holds info of whole my record collection.

MC can store any info you want. No need for a second software to hold the data. Band member history could go into the bio tag or you could create a custom tag.

Tools > Options > Library & Folders > Manage Library Fields...

Right now it works okey for me, but I'm not shure what happends with my "Artist/Album/Genre" tags if I need to reinstall J River MC, anyone knows how to store this info?

MC automatic backs up your library and you can do a manual back up. If you ever need to reinstall MC, just back it up and restore your library.

File > Library > Back Up Your Library....

File > Library > Restore Library....

You might also want to have MC back up your library to a different drive to be on the safe side. ;)

Tools > Options > File Location > Program Files > Library Backups

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 03:29:01 pm »

Do library backups indeed backup all custom tags?, it seemed to me last time I had to redo my computer and reinstall, some of my custom tags weren't saved.

Maybe I am just not remembering correctly, sometimes that happens with me.  ::)

TC

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 03:36:24 pm »

Right now it works okey for me, but I'm not shure what happends with my "Artist/Album/Genre" tags if I need to reinstall J River MC, anyone knows how to store this info?

Use lossless encoding and they will be embedded into the files and won't ever be lost.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 03:58:43 pm »

Use lossless encoding and they will be embedded into the files and won't ever be lost.

only if you set "save tag changes to files" in the options
pretend this is something funny

221bBS

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 05:03:10 pm »

only if you set "save tag changes to files" in the options

Options > General > Update tags when file info changes

221bBS

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 05:04:02 pm »

Do library backups indeed backup all custom tags?

Yes

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 05:27:25 pm »

Options > General > Update tags when file info changes

Yeah, that  ;D

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 07:37:13 pm »

In case you didn't know, Media Center supports WAV tagging:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WAV_%26_AIFF_Tagging
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Vocalpoint

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 08:02:56 pm »

In case you didn't know, Media Center supports WAV tagging:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WAV_%26_AIFF_Tagging

Yes - but you cannot count on ALL the metadata being saved - nor is there any guarantee the files will play. I have encountered a boatload of wavs in the last few years with embedded tags that do not play at all. This of course is dependant on player as well.

Therefore - lose MC or the library at some point - and have fun re-ripping everything....FLAC is the only way to be sure for any long term lossless archiving.

I would never risk tagging a wav. Been migrating data here on and off for 5 years now...haven't lost a single file's worth of data that is in FLAC format....

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 08:13:31 pm »

Yes but the wavs themselves do not store all the data.

Take a look at the article.  WAV tags do store all the data, but WAV tagging must be enabled in Media Center.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 08:39:34 pm »

Take a look at the article.  WAV tags do store all the data, but WAV tagging must be enabled in Media Center.

I did read it. But again - there's that assumption that Media Center will always be part of the equation. What's the 411 if one is not using Media Center 6 years from now and wants to rock their fully tagged wavs? Or they suddenly will not play in another software player. Or the tags don't show? Too risky. At least with FLAC - I can always easily extract the wav and re-encode to the lossless container dejour in the year 2018.

Also - if I had a dollar for each problematic wav I have encountered tagged by "other" software over the last 10 years. Some play, some can be fixed while others simply show as corrupt in Wavelab etc. To get to the file and get a rescue happening - it usually means some heavy duty tag stripping and guarantee loss of all that tagging effort.

VP

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 08:41:38 pm »

There is a lot of opinions soundwise so I decided to go for Wav.

This is a ticklish issue, but I think it's important to state the facts plainly.  And this is one of the rare occasions where I'm somewhat qualified to speak, as I wrote one of the first popular lossless compressors and also much of the JRiver audio engine.

The simple fact is that lossless compressors sound identical to WAV.  

Decoded PCM audio delivery (from an APE, FLAC, WAV, or any other format) happens early in the JRiver audio chain, many seconds before the data is heard and completely detached from playback threads.  If the same bits are delivered on the input side (and they are, as this is the whole point of lossless compression) then it doesn't matter the source format.

Lossless compression also provide error detection, space savings, and tagging.

With that said, JRiver has always made it a priority to support as many formats as possible.  Each individual user should choose the format they're most comfortable with.  JRiver has excellent WAV, AIFF, APE, FLAC, and more support.  I consider them all good choices.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 09:41:25 pm »

....FLAC is the only way to be sure for any long term lossless archiving...

It's not the *only* way.  I've been using ape for my lossless files for the last decade, and have had no issues.

FLAC might be more popular, I'm not sure, and it's a great choice also, but it's not the *only* option, FWIW :)

I think either one is a much better choice than wav, mostly for size, but for tagging also.
Pages: [1]   Go Up