INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Basic audio playback question  (Read 1222 times)

Scrith

• Recent member
Basic audio playback question
« on: September 12, 2010, 04:09:17 pm »

Hello, so far I'm very happy with Media Center 15 (as a former Foobar2000 user for my audio files, which are stored in the FLAC format) except for one thing:  when I select a track it does not begin playing when the currently playing track finishes (instead, it ignores the selection and starts playing the track in the list after the currently playing one).  Furthermore, if I try to force it to play my selected track (by right-clicking it and selecting "Add (as next to play)") it will go back to the previous track as soon as the track I added is finished playing (which is just strange, in my book).

This playback selection mechanism ("the next track to play is the selected one (or the one after it, if the selected track is the one currently playing)") is the standard behavior in most audio programs I've used, so I'm guessing MC15 must support this sort of thing via the Options menu, but I can't find it.  Any hints on how to get something other than what I have now (and, hopefully, without requiring annoying right-click menus whenever I want this basic playback functionality)?  Right now I can't get anything like this basic functionality;  the closest I can come is to select several tracks I'd like to play (a pain), right-click to add them as next to play (annoying), and then remember that I'll go back to some other (probably long-forgotten) location in my track listing once that selection finishes.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Basic audio playback question
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 07:23:13 pm »

You can always see and manage what is playing by looking at Playing Now.  Playback simply works through the Playing Now list in sequential order.  If repeat is on, it starts back at the top when it reaches the bottom.

The right-click "More Play Options" provides a lot of flexibility for how you add / replace Playing Now.  You can also configure double-click behavior in options.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Listener

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Basic audio playback question
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 12:44:19 am »

Hello, so far I'm very happy with Media Center 15 (as a former Foobar2000 user for my audio files, which are stored in the FLAC format) except for one thing:  when I select a track it does not begin playing when the currently playing track finishes (instead, it ignores the selection and starts playing the track in the list after the currently playing one).  Furthermore, if I try to force it to play my selected track (by right-clicking it and selecting "Add (as next to play)") it will go back to the previous track as soon as the track I added is finished playing (which is just strange, in my book).

Welcome, Scrith.  I presume that you are the Scrith who posts on the PC Audio Audio Asylum forum.  (I'm Old Listener there.)

A few suggestions relevant to your problem:

1. You can control the behavior of the Play button on the Tools/Options/General dialog.  Under the Behavior section, look at the "Play Button" setting, the "Double-Click" setting and the "Jump on Play (audio)" settings.

2. There are some settings for controlling repeat and shuffle behavior.  There are burrons with small graphics on them to the left and below the search box.  You can alsoset the repeat and shuffle behavior on the player menu.

3. You see information on the file currently playing at the top of the MC window.  The Playing Now view (look on the left side of the MC window under the Play button) gives more information on what's playing now, what was recently played and what is queued up to be played.  If you find that you are going to that view often, you might want to add a menu item to take you to the playing now view.  Right click to the right of the Help menu item and click on "Customize Toolbar: to add a menu item for "Playing Now".  (I have added menu items for "tag", "Import", "Recently imported" and "Zones".)

4. After you finish looking at the Playing Now view, you can go back to the previous view by clicking on the small left arrow icon just below the left end of the playback progress bar.

If you are playing classical music, you might want to look at the Player/Playback Option dialog.  Under the "Track change" section, you might uncheck "Do not play silence" and check "use gapless for sequential tracks".  This will play a series of tracks with the gaps on the CD honored and no extra gaps added.  Note the choice of output modes on this same dialog.

MC has very rich functionality and is quite customizable.  Ask more questions on this forum if you can't find what you are looking for by poking around or consulting the Wiki.

Bill

Pages: [1]   Go Up