INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library Server Questions  (Read 2514 times)

GrantDG

• World Citizen
Library Server Questions
« on: August 21, 2010, 08:42:54 pm »

Hi there,

I've been using the Library server feature of MC14 for quite some time - for both intranet and internet access.

I've just upgraded to MC15 and have a few questions re some changes.

1. Using the same port number as with 14, I can access the server within my home network - but not via my internet IP address. I'm sure this is not a NAT issue, as the address is exactly the same. Any ideas for ways to test the access?

2. Previously my "clients" could do encoding to Ogg Vorbis - but it now seems that MC15 only supports MP3 (I used Ogg as MP3 streams are blocked via my work firewall) - is there a reason for removing Ogg? Is there a way to use it for the encoding? This seems like a bit of a backward step...
Looking to control J River Media Center from your Windows Phone?: Look for nMedium & nMedium Play in the WP store

GrantDG

• World Citizen
Re: Library Server Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 06:49:44 am »

*bump*

I've even placed the MC computer in a DMZ and it's still not accessible via the internet IP address - am I missing something?
Looking to control J River Media Center from your Windows Phone?: Look for nMedium & nMedium Play in the WP store

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 07:01:28 am »

Please take a look at this article on our wiki:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Network_Access

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 04:11:34 pm »

Please take a look at this article on our wiki:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Network_Access

Yep - did all that. What I can't figure out is why it works for 14 and not 15 (I've switched back to using 14 for the moment). Is anyone else able to get external streaming working?

And, what about the transcoding (Ogg)??

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 04:26:44 pm »

Maybe you have two media servers running.  Or the wrong one.

There are two addresses on a router, the inside address, and the outside.  From outside your LAN, you must connect to the outside address.  In MC's options for Media Network, there is a test that uses our server to try to connect.

A firewall might also allow MC14 but not MC15.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 04:27:53 pm »

I don't think Ogg was removed.  Maybe you don't have an encoder plug-in?  Try testing a conversion to ogg on the server.

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 06:47:04 am »

I don't think Ogg was removed.  Maybe you don't have an encoder plug-in?  Try testing a conversion to ogg on the server.

I've downloaded the Ogg encoder on both the client and the server - and I'm still only presented with the following options (on the client):

http://bellecamp.com.au/MC15_LibraryServer.png

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 07:11:55 am »

Did you test conversion on the server?

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 07:59:45 am »

Did you test conversion on the server?

Yes - conversion works perfectly fine on the server - it's still not presented as an option on the client.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 11:14:42 am »

Media Center 15 uses a new conversion system that can provide an exact length so a client does not know conversion is occurring.  This makes performance with DLNA devices and phones better.

At this time, only MP3 and WAV can be used with this new system.

Any chance the network police would let you stream if you asked nicely? 

I suppose we could make a special option to obscure the MIME type to side-step mean network administrators.  Is blocking MP3 common?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 08:06:52 pm »

Hi Matt,

I work for a big corporate, I don't think they'd go for a firewall exception like that!

Is there any chance that the conversion system could use a 'default' conversion (for DLNA / phone) but be able to accept an overriding conversion when talking with another MC instance (like it did in 14)?

My Ogg streams were also set at a VERY low bit rate, so that network congestion wasn't so big an issue.

Grant

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 05:08:32 am »

1. Using the same port number as with 14, I can access the server within my home network - but not via my internet IP address. I'm sure this is not a NAT issue, as the address is exactly the same. Any ideas for ways to test the access?

Did you resolve this? If not, it could be that you havent made MC15.exe an exception in your firewall software on the computer running library server.
Pages: [1]   Go Up