INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC truncating audio  (Read 2460 times)

lazy

• Junior Woodchuck
MC truncating audio
« on: September 13, 2010, 03:54:09 am »

Hi,

I've had a problem with MC cutting off a portion of all songs for some time. At first I thought it was because I was playing files that were located on another PC and transferred via WiFi. But now I'm having all my music locally and it still happens. Actually it seems to have become worse. Earlier on MC cut about half a second or so, but lately it has increased to several seconds, and it is growing more and more annoying.

Anybody experienced anything like this, or have any ideas ?

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.
Re: MC truncating audio
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 04:13:32 am »

Are you outputting to a Digital receiver via optical or coax for example? If so, the receiver might introduce some delay to the signal. Try to use the  "Play silence at startup for hardware synchronization" feature located at Options -> Audio to add a bit of delay before the song starts playing which is needed by some digital receivers to start-up audio properly.

Apart from that, check that your anti-virus isn't messing around with MC. To test that, try to disable your anti-virus and see how things go. If that's the case then just create some exclusion rules for MC.

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 05:32:29 am »

on the same place as arbiter suggests Options -> Audio also check what you have on track change. what happens when you change the switch track to gap less..

:)
gab

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 11:29:26 am »

I am hearing the same thing on many tracks that I transfer to my mobile device.  it cuts off a second or 2 from LOTS of songs.  I've not taken the time to research it, but I think it's on songs that have been transcoded to mp3 from ape, but that's just a guess.  it was doing the same thing several months ago, then it stopped doing it, and now it's back.

I just live with it :(
pretend this is something funny

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 11:45:11 am »

I am hearing the same thing on many tracks that I transfer to my mobile device. 
What mobile device?

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 12:24:54 pm »

HTC EVO; converting unsupported file types, with mp3 listed as the only supported type, and using high quality portable as the setting.

I also had it to convert to cache, but have since turned that option off (I'm not sure I've re-synced since then).

lazy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 03:10:15 pm »

Are you outputting to a Digital receiver via optical or coax for example? If so, the receiver might introduce some delay to the signal. Try to use the  "Play silence at startup for hardware synchronization" feature located at Options -> Audio to add a bit of delay before the song starts playing which is needed by some digital receivers to start-up audio properly.

Apart from that, check that your anti-virus isn't messing around with MC. To test that, try to disable your anti-virus and see how things go. If that's the case then just create some exclusion rules for MC.

I do output to a USB soundcard, but I have already played around with this setting, but it has no effect. Turning off the anti-virus doesn't do the trick either.

on the same place as arbiter suggests Options -> Audio also check what you have on track change. what happens when you change the switch track to gap less..

Tried this now but doesn't seem to help.

I am hearing the same thing on many tracks that I transfer to my mobile device.  it cuts off a second or 2 from LOTS of songs.  I've not taken the time to research it, but I think it's on songs that have been transcoded to mp3 from ape, but that's just a guess.  it was doing the same thing several months ago, then it stopped doing it, and now it's back.

All my music is in ape format, but I do not transcode though. Just output it as it is.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 03:23:56 pm »

Have you tried playing one of the problem files in another program, to test if it's the file, or Media Center?

I can't think of anything else it might be  ?

lazy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 04:09:54 pm »

Have you tried playing one of the problem files in another program, to test if it's the file, or Media Center?

I can't think of anything else it might be  ?

Yep, tried in vlc just now with no problem. I have also transferred to an iPod (as mp3) without problems.

gappie

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 04:57:30 pm »

is it happening on all files, or only on files where the sound dies slowly. in the case disable Options -> Audio -> track change -> do not play silence ( and switch track to gapless).
are all the ape files 16 bit 44,1 khz?

:)
gab

lazy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 03:51:33 am »

is it happening on all files, or only on files where the sound dies slowly. in the case disable Options -> Audio -> track change -> do not play silence ( and switch track to gapless).
are all the ape files 16 bit 44,1 khz?

Yes it happens on all files, and yes, all ape files are 16/44,1.

But just for fun I tried to disable the "do not play silence", and that did the trick !! Thanks. :)

But this happened to all files as I said, and I remember songs that were cut off mid sentence so there must be something strange with this function. I have set the option to even out volume between tracks, could that affect this ? Matt ? Jim ?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 06:06:44 am »

It is supposed the remove the silent samples that exist in the end or in the beginning of the track. The intention is to assist the Cross-fade feature to work as expected. Without this option Cross-fade would often mix a silent ending with the next track and be practically ineffective.

In this case silent means audio that is below a certain very quiet volume level because the tracks may have background noise that continues from one track to another. It would not always work correctly if it would remove only absolute silence.
'
If you have a track (or a track pair) that causes the "Do not play silence" feature to not work as expected, probably the developers would like to have the file(s) for testing.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up