INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Improper artist file seperation in artist view in V.14  (Read 2648 times)

DJ-TIM/TOM

• Recent member
Improper artist file seperation in artist view in V.14
« on: September 15, 2010, 10:36:36 pm »

I am a DJ with over a TB of music, and have been using Media Center Version 12 to tag, sort and keep track of my music files. Due to a recent virus I was forced to reinstall windows and upgrade to version 14. I am rather anal retentive with my filing and have encountered an extremely annoying problem in the artist view where I am finding my artist files seperated into 2 or more artists where there should only be one artist. For example:

Eazy-E is seperated into 2 artists, Eazy E and Eazy-E

The Dream is seperated into 2 artists, The Dream and The-Dream

Most annoying of all: H.I.M. is seperated into 2 artists (H.I.M. and H.I.M. (His Infernal Majesty)) and even placed under a seperate artist in view where it doesn't belong. There is one of the albums that's been placed under Him, which is a seperate artist. Him is an ambient artist and H.I.M. is a goth metal artist.

All are properly tagged when opened, but I want my artist files able to be viewed properly when I take a look at my artist view. Every file has it's proper place, and this wasn't an issue with version 12. I can't even retag these to place them in their proper place, believe me I've tried. How do I fix this issue?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Improper artist file seperation in artist view in V.14
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 10:48:53 pm »

In a list of all your audio files, show the fields 'Artist' and 'Album Artist'.  Change any names that are different by selecting any number of files and editing in-place (F2).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

DJ-TIM/TOM

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 11:05:10 pm »

Umm, can you break it up into a more detailed instuction please? All of my files were properly placed and tagged prior to having them in the version 14. No issues with version 12, now I have properly tagged mp3s under an artist that's listed (ONLY in ARTIST view mind you) as the same artist but with a _ - or space, or without an '. I even have mp3s listed not under the artist but under the name of some website. My music artist view is broken up and scrambled. Where there was once order is now chaos. I want it fixed and the short discription you responded to my post with was not detailed enough for me to find a solution to this issue! ?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 11:08:27 pm »

Umm, can you break it up into a more detailed instuction please? All of my files were properly placed and tagged prior to having them in the version 14. No issues with version 12, now I have properly tagged mp3s under an artist that's listed (ONLY in ARTIST view mind you) as the same artist but with a _ - or space, or without an '. I even have mp3s listed not under the artist but under the name of some website. My music artist view is broken up and scrambled. Where there was once order is now chaos. I want it fixed and the short discription you responded to my post with was not detailed enough for me to find a solution to this issue! ?

The best solution is to restore a library backup from v12 in v14 (or v15).  Then you will have all meta data and playlists.

If that is not possible, you can either fix problems by hand (like removing extra dashes, etc.) in the artist and/or album artist fields.

Conversely, you could use "Fill Properties From Filename..." to fill the fields from the filenames instead of the tags.

Hopefully that helps.

DJ-TIM/TOM

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 11:38:07 pm »

I can't restore the backup from version 12 since my comp got a virus. I had to fully reinstall windows and reformat my hard drive. The music is stored on an external. I've tried to remove the extra dashes but I can't edit anything in the main artist view. Like I was saying, ALL the tags are proper once I open up the folder. it looks like this:
_______   _______   _______   _______   _______   _______
|Cover |  |Cover  |  |Cover  |  |Cover  |  |Cover  |  |Cover |
| Art    |  |Art     |  |  Art    |  | Art    |  |  Art    |  | Art    |
--------   --------   --------   --------   ---------  --------
Eazy E      Eazy-E    www.bl..   Artist 1     Example    Sample

I need to get the first 3 boxes combined into the artist listed under the second box. When I open up each of the first 3 boxes they are all PROPERLY tagged by artist, album and genre, even the track numbers are right. the only issue is they are broken up in the artist search view where I have no option to edit or combine.

221bBS

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 11:57:45 pm »

I would check your album artist tag.

See if this helps
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=59609.0

DJ-TIM/TOM

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 03:16:07 am »

Ok, so I read the linked thread and played around with the customized views, the closest I was able to get to the way I want it set up was to set it to artist then add album right under it. Unfortunately I now have the issue listed in the link. Sure, I now have them set up under the right artists, but now its listing some songs as the same album but under a split. Is this as good as it's gonna get or do I have another option? >:(

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 06:32:08 am »

Please download MC15 and install it.  MC14 can't be purchased any longer.

221bBS

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 09:05:03 am »

from: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=59609.msg402643#msg402643
MC thinks songs belong to the same album if they have the same album title and
album artist.
Add Album Artist column to the pane and check

If you have multiple entries in the album artist field for an album you will end up with multiple albums.

Example:

Tracks 1-5:
Album Artist = Eazy E
Album : Eazy-Duz-It

Tracks 6-10:
Album Artist = Eazy-E
Album : Eazy-Duz-It

MC will think you have two albums one by Eazy E and another by Eazy-E. To fix this you will need to correct the album artist field. I suggest you use the Action Window > Tag window on the bottom left of MC.

Once the tag window is open click on the top left icon of the window and pick the setting that will work best. Select the files you want to edit on the main window and edit.

Always remember if nothing is selected in the main window it is considered as selecting all.

DJ-TIM/TOM

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 04:16:36 pm »

The issue isn't with the tags, it's where they appear and are sorted in the full artist view window. Retagging does not place them correctly. If it were that easy I would have fixed it instead of asking for help.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 04:45:03 pm »

The issue isn't with the tags, it's where they appear and are sorted in the full artist view window.

Files appear according to tags.  If they appear in the wrong spot, the tags need to be corrected.

221bbs posted nice instructions on how to do this above.
Pages: [1]   Go Up