INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrade assurances/questions from 12.XXX to Current  (Read 1370 times)

rhowland

• Recent member
Upgrade assurances/questions from 12.XXX to Current
« on: September 16, 2010, 08:16:15 pm »

Ok. I've been a licensed user for a long, long time. I'm still running version 12.0.5.34 which has for over a year now not been able to find any tag information at all. (Planned Obsolescence?);NONE!! I've use Windows Media with it's limited options to rip CDs all the time. With version 12.0.5.34 I also have several custom fields, one being how high and what chart a song peaked.
   1) If I upgrade, how will I ensure that the hours of work I put in to populate those fields will be honored/readable/displayed by a newer version?
   2) Will the tag lookups of new CDs work again? (A second ago it still couldn't find Michael Jackson / Off The Wall)
        (At least some look ups. I know if was iffy at best anyway.)
   3) What version do you recommend?
   4) Is there a way to go back if all heck goes loose?

Also, related, I never got a response from this:
May 23, 2010, 08:40:35 pm
Something HAS changed. THAT'S TRUE!  New PC, Vista Junk Operating System (still purchased version of MC).... As I type this, I'm watching the Brooks & Dunn dedication and thought I'd upgrade my existing "Brand New Man" (album name) rip to FLAC format..., but alas..."No tag information for the CD in drive F was found...." I ripped this originally with MC years ago with no problem. Currently, with my firewall settings, Windows Media Player looks finds the album/track info immediately! If it's a firewall setting what should I do? If it's Vista, I'm not surprised, but let me know!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Upgrade assurances/questions from 12.XXX to Current
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 08:21:10 pm »

1) JRiver works hard to support tagging standards.  Tagging standards evolve, so it's best to stay current with the program.  And our own database is always forwards-compatible (v15 can load an old Media Jukebox v8 library).

2) v15 has YADB and FreeDB disc lookup.

3) v15, the latest.

4) You can install v12 and v15 side-by-side.  Make a library backup first.  It's free to try v15.  

We've been busy since v12.  Thanks for thinking of upgrading.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

rhowland

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 02:58:04 pm »

I appreciate the response. Just a couple of things, not quite addressed:
   Do you know why version 12 no longer finds album/track/artist information, even though other programs do? Am I alone with this problem? Is it a Vista anomaly? Or is there a way to fix this issue?

You said that 15 can load an existing v12 database. So does that mean by default it will recognize my custom fields and also have those field definitions listed in the column headers? Or will I have to define the field names? or Enable something all over again? (Versions ago I often put the year as 196X, for example,  showing that a song was from a particular decade. However, one of the upgrades, must have made the field strictly numeric because to this day, because the 'X" went bye bye, so I've still got an awful lot of songs from the 1st century, like year 196, 197 etc.)

There are people out there that have a lot more songs that I do, but still, 40,000 of them and the time I've put in makes me just a bit nervous. Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 03:12:51 pm »

I appreciate the response. Just a couple of things, not quite addressed:
   Do you know why version 12 no longer finds album/track/artist information, even though other programs do? Am I alone with this problem? Is it a Vista anomaly? Or is there a way to fix this issue?

Sorry, but I don't know.  I believe v12 was finished before Vista existed and UAC compliance was a focus of v13.

You said that 15 can load an existing v12 database. So does that mean by default it will recognize my custom fields and also have those field definitions listed in the column headers?

Yes.  Just restore a library backup.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

rhowland

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 05:04:26 pm »

It took me a while to bite the bullet, but the restore at version 15 worked fine. All the custom fields are there. Thank you. I've got a couple of other questions...in other threads. Thanks again.  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up